Newbie from San Franciso, CA (East Bay)

Liamm_1

Songster
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
San Francisco Bay Area (East)
Hello to all.
I've been reading and getting info from this site for a couple months, really appreciate all the info!
I've got a few questions to pose, so I figured I'd register. First, an introduction:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, never had chickens before, but have wanted them for a while. I'd love to be a farmer, but don't have a farm lol. Our first chickens are now 2 months old

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

6 total. We had hoped at least 1/2 would be hens, but it appears we have 2 hens and 4 roosters. That's what I'm assuming at this point, based on the rear feather design. Am I correct to assume this at this point? I will wait for confirmation of course, at which point I'd love to eat the roosters (wish I could keep one, but I doubt all the neighbors would be ok with it). If in fact there are 2 hens, I'd like to add maybe 3 or 4 more, for a total of 5-6. (that's one of my questions, how to accomplish that)

(3) What breeds do you have?

We were given our first baby chicks Aug 18 by a nice lady in Clayton who just has too many apparently. Since I didn't know anything at the time about chickens, I didn't think to ask what kind they are, but after searching breeds, I think they are Jersey Giants, perhaps mixed with something, because one has very feathered feet and some brown spots, and a couple others have a few feathers on legs

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

A google search originally

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

gardening, reading, sports

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Beautiful wife and 3 wonderful children. No other pets so far. General Contractor (remodels, additions, new construction)

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Grew up across the Bay in Oakland. Lived in Union City for years and been here in Modesto for going on 2 years.

What breeds are you looking for? Lots of Bay Area chicken people here, so you should be able to find some good ones.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom