1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Newbie from San Franciso, CA (East Bay)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Liamm_1, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Liamm_1

Liamm_1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello to all.
    I've been reading and getting info from this site for a couple months, really appreciate all the info!
    I've got a few questions to pose, so I figured I'd register. First, an introduction:

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Yes, never had chickens before, but have wanted them for a while. I'd love to be a farmer, but don't have a farm lol. Our first chickens are now 2 months old

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

6 total. We had hoped at least 1/2 would be hens, but it appears we have 2 hens and 4 roosters. That's what I'm assuming at this point, based on the rear feather design. Am I correct to assume this at this point? I will wait for confirmation of course, at which point I'd love to eat the roosters (wish I could keep one, but I doubt all the neighbors would be ok with it). If in fact there are 2 hens, I'd like to add maybe 3 or 4 more, for a total of 5-6. (that's one of my questions, how to accomplish that)

(3) What breeds do you have?

We were given our first baby chicks Aug 18 by a nice lady in Clayton who just has too many apparently. Since I didn't know anything at the time about chickens, I didn't think to ask what kind they are, but after searching breeds, I think they are Jersey Giants, perhaps mixed with something, because one has very feathered feet and some brown spots, and a couple others have a few feathers on legs

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

A google search originally

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

gardening, reading, sports

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

Beautiful wife and 3 wonderful children. No other pets so far. General Contractor (remodels, additions, new construction)

2. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Welcome from an imp in Washington

Congrats on getting chicks

Imp

4. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

5. ChickyD

ChickyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    NH
    Welcome![​IMG]

6. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Greetings from Tucson and [​IMG]

7. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG]

Grew up across the Bay in Oakland. Lived in Union City for years and been here in Modesto for going on 2 years.

What breeds are you looking for? Lots of Bay Area chicken people here, so you should be able to find some good ones.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Welcome from Oregon!

9. happyhappy

happyhappy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Napa, CA
    Welcome from Napa, CA your should be able to build their coop, no problem Eh? Happy BYC!

[​IMG]

10. Kat's Silly Chickens

Kat's Silly Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    South Central Texas
    [​IMG] from Texas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by