Newbie from Southern NJ

chick_weed

Hatching
9 Years
Mar 26, 2010
Hello All!
I've just been perusing some of the forums, and what a ton of great info! And such friendly people. So I signed up!

I live in South Jersey - real, south Jersey...about 10 minutes from Cape May. I've been contemplating getting chickens for about a year now, and after spending time at a friend's in Ontario, who has kept chickens for most of her life, I just couldn't wait to get started with my own small flock! They will be for egg production and insect control. Also, as a great way to introduce my nieces and nephew to animal husbandry! They love helping with the pony, but now they can help with something smaller than them! (And my pony is small - 10.3 hh.) I let them name two of the chicks that will be "theirs."

I just got my chicks on Monday - 6 pullets (hopefully - they were sexed at the hatchery (which has been reliable for a friend of mine - in 10 years, she has never gotten a roo from them!) and I purchased from the local feed store, where they are very knowledgeable.) Still not sure on the breed - they got in half RIR's and half of a "surprise me!" mixture of breeds. 2 are dark, and most likely Cochins. The other 4 are most likely RIR, possibly one is a Buff Orp (which had been my first choice, but I don't think they had more than one or two in the order.) I used color as a base (to help narrow down breed), then picked only alert, active chicks. And now that I am attached to them, I realized for my first group, specific breed doesn't matter a whole lot. I've got an idea of what they most likely are, and all were on my list of possibles. Now, I'm eagerly waiting for them to feather out to see who is what!

Currently my little girls are living in a homemade brooder in the bathroom. I am trying to handle them once everyday, as time permits, but they seem to be getting more nervous about it. I will need to enlarge the brooder this weekend, as they are growing fast. Tail feathers are just emerging and their wings are getting full. The new game is "Red Rover" over the feeder tray!

I'm in the process of coop-design/building/placement. I've got 3 areas for possible placement, but I'm trying not to take up too much of the pony's pen. And we've gotten really flooded this year, so at least now I know where ALL the low spots are, and no matter where I put my girls, I'll had to bring in some fill. But with the current rainy conditions, things are on hold for a day or two. I'm also trying to build with at least 80% free-cycle materials.

I can't wait to read more and meet you all! Let the adventure begin!
yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from the other coast:) And I know South Jersey--went to HS in Absecon, on the mainland across from Atlantic City. I learned to swim in the ocean off Brigantine:)

But really, we're here to talk about chickens,aren't we?! I'm quite familiar with the Red Rover routine you described--LOL Aren't they fun? My RIRs are teenagers now--over a month old. It's good that you're handling your peeps so they won'tmind so much when they're older. So glad you're here!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom