Newbie from Tarpon Springs, FL

The French Hen

Tres Chic
9 Years
Jul 31, 2010
Tarpon Springs, FL
Hello everyone, As it states in the subject I am a "NEWBIE" I am not just new to this forum but to chickens as well. I grew up with friends who had farms and we played and chased the chickens and I always liked them but until now all I ever did was actually eat them !!! I know even now that sounds terrible to even my new ears !!! But I do love chicken better than any other meat and I dearly love eggs...can't have to many eggs.

Also as it states I live in Tarpon Springs, Fl I am married (sort of) we have lived together now for just over 25 years and have been engaged for 2 and plan on marrying next spring. We have no children however we have 12 American Cocker Spaniels that I breed and show. However I am getting too old and too broke to do that anymore and I think I have enough dogs anyway so now I am now gonna start in on Chickens, I have been reading about them now for only 2 months but I am very excited about the prospect of raising chickens as I wind down in my old age...I am 59 but most people don't guess me anywhere near that age...so I guess I am a young 59 year old !!!!

As I stated I have always loved chickens and have been amazed by the fact that there are so many varieties. I always new there were a lot of varieties however until recently I learned there were even more than I thought.

I have seen so many pictures now and I have to admit I never knew chickens could be so beautiful....Also upon reading I am finding how attached people get to their chickens and refer to their hens as their girls...I just love it....

Anyway, I am new and looking forward to reading and learning lots more about chickens and how to raise and care for them and hopefully this forum will help me find mentors that can help me over the rough times while I am in this learning stage.

Today I purchased a fairly nice Chicken coop thru craigslist and it turns out she is going to sell me some chickens to get started with as well. The chickens are about 5 months old and she is selling them to me for only $8.00 each. I think that is a good price since I have seen them higher.

I really didn't expect to get the chickens so soon. Wanted to get the chicken coop and area all set up with a waterer and feeder and ground cover and all that stuff so I guess I am gonna have to get busy this week because the chickens will be coming with the coop next week.

Any advice from anyone will be greatly appreciated and I am sure I will be posting tons of questions especially in the beginning.....

Take Care and God Bless to everyone here !!

Pat
Tarpon Springs, FL

welcome-byc.gif
from Oklahoma!
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from Tucson, AZ. Good luck with your new birds; sometimes you just have to jump in with both feet. Read everything you can here, it really is the best source of info. Also, look for the BYC thread for your local area; it's good to connect with local people for info specific to your region. The $8 chooks sound good to me. You'll be getting eggs as soon as a month from now.

Back
Top Bottom