Newbie gardener questions

My peppers didn't do much of anything. I think I got 3 total peppers out of 8 plants.
I haven't had very good luck with bell peppers of any kind. Jalapenos and habaneros will give me oodles of peppers, especially the habs. But you don't need many of those because they are soooo hot!

I'm to the point where I'm not going to give bell peppers the space. Maybe a couple, but that's probably it.

If you get your soil tested, let us know what they say, and we can help interpret. They'll probably test for pH (acidity/alkalinity) and the Big 3: Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. They may test for other things too.

When you buy fertilizer, you'll see numbers on the bag, like 10-10-10. That refers to the Big 3, and they are abbreviated N-P-K. They may not have the letters, but they always refer nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium, in that specific order. So that 10-10-10 is called a "balanced fertilizer" because it has all three in the same percentage by volume.

If your soil was very lacking in Nitrogen, you could add something like bloodmeal, and the numbers on the bag might be 24-0-0. Then you are adding Nitrogen, but not the other two.

I have an amendment mix that I mix in, but it's basically a nutrients-only version of the same amendments that were in my soil mix before, so it's just replenishing what was there. I also make compost from chicken poop, dried leaves, and whatever else compostable that comes from the kitchen/garden, so that gets added in late winter/early spring each year.

I haven't had very good luck with bell peppers of any kind. Jalapenos and habaneros will give me oodles of peppers, especially the habs. But you don't need many of those because they are soooo hot!
Same. Small peppers grow well (I do shishitos) but bell types really favor a longer, hotter growing season than I can provide.

I'm really lazy with zucchini/summer squashes. I do train them up a trellis but after that I just let them sprawl over the edge of the garden bed and onto the ground. But admittedly... I don't like zucchini so only getting a couple fruit is fine with me. :p

I have an amendment mix that I mix in, but it's basically a nutrients-only version of the same amendments that were in my soil mix before, so it's just replenishing what was there. I also make compost from chicken poop, dried leaves, and whatever else compostable that comes from the kitchen/garden, so that gets added in late winter/early spring each year.

Same. Small peppers grow well (I do shishitos) but bell types really favor a longer, hotter growing season than I can provide.

I'm really lazy with zucchini/summer squashes. I do train them up a trellis but after that I just let them sprawl over the edge of the garden bed and onto the ground. But admittedly... I don't like zucchini so only getting a couple fruit is fine with me. :p
We have the opposite problem with bell peppers here why have to put ours under shade cloth or the peppers get sun burn!

The few of mine that even grew were green so long I thought maybe I planted the wrong kind. I had to brown-bag them to get any kind of color.
I’ve started doing that with mine what the sun doesn’t scorch is usually chewed on by bugs or rabbits if I leave it to color up. Not sure I’ll grow more than a couple plants next year. I might try growing a different sweet pepper or even baby bells since they are supposed to produce better.

I'm to the point where I'm not going to give bell peppers the space. Maybe a couple, but that's probably it.

If you get your soil tested, let us know what they say, and we can help interpret. They'll probably test for pH (acidity/alkalinity) and the Big 3: Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. They may test for other things too.

When you buy fertilizer, you'll see numbers on the bag, like 10-10-10. That refers to the Big 3, and they are abbreviated N-P-K. They may not have the letters, but they always refer nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium, in that specific order. So that 10-10-10 is called a "balanced fertilizer" because it has all three in the same percentage by volume.

If your soil was very lacking in Nitrogen, you could add something like bloodmeal, and the numbers on the bag might be 24-0-0. Then you are adding Nitrogen, but not the other two.
I grow my peppers in a raised bed which has bales of straw covered by mushroom soil which is a rich compost soil we bought locally. It has no weeds. The past 2 years I have had more peppers and tomatoes than I can use. I canned the tomatoes but the peppers didn't come out as well. We ate bell peppers and Large Italian peppers. I also had the little wonders and they were sooo good.

Back
Top Bottom