newbie hatcher here... do you add eggs after

chicky gal1

Songster
10 Years
Apr 5, 2009
PA
can you add eggs after some have been in for a few days and just have them hatch later? or do they all have to be put in an the same day?

Thanks!

Ok, so at the last few days when I up the humidity, that won't make a difference for the ones that need a few more days? thanks so much for your help!!
smile.png

I would find it hard in my small incubator to do this - I would not be able to turn some eggs and not others. If you can do this then I suppose you would be alright but you would not be able to open the incubator in the last 3 days of the first hatch - so the others would have to be left alone too!! I suppose it depends on the dates - you can't take chicks out if the second lot are on their days when you need to keep the lid on. Does that make sense?

jacyjones thanks for all of those details. Right now I have eggs that I just put in this morning (Thursday) at 10am with an automatic turner going. on sunday a neighbor with fertile eggs wants to give me 2 dozen fertile eggs to hatch along with this batch. so they will be three days apart. does it matter if I don't turn the second batch for the last 6 days or so? because I will have to take the turner out to allow the first batch to hatch in the last three days or so. thanks so much, this is all very confusing to a first timer!!
smile.png
I have Phoenix eggs, BB Coocku marans eggs in so far from a breeder who I purchased hatching eggs from.

That is difficult. I think 6 days would be too long without turning. You have to stop at day 18 but you would be stopping quite a lot earlier than that for the second batch, wouldn't you? Is there any way your neighbour can give you eggs after this lot have hatched? I think I would either get a second incubator or say I could not do the second lot of eggs cos the timing is wrong.
Good luck with what you decide!

Problem solved! A very kind fellow BYCer came over last night and gave us a dozen eggs to put in last night!! thanks paul!!!!
smile.png
So I think we will pass on the other ones and wait until next hatch and get some! Thanks for your help!!
smile.png

Glad your problem is solved. It sounds like a good solution.

Some people get around the difference in timing problem by having a separate hatcher. It keeps the incubator cleaner also.

Back
Top Bottom