Newbie hatcher

Andie1141

Hatching
May 5, 2015
Hampshire
Would love some advise please. I have 4 bantam hens and one columbian Pekin cock. I set 8 eggs collected over 3 days and popped them in my incubator. All 8 germinated but 5 died within 10 days (the blood ring of death) and others were promising. I candled again at 18 days (just before lockdown) and only 3 were alive. I'm now on day 24 and only one is still alive & showing no signs of hatching. The incubator is at 38c and humidity at 65%. Please help, what have I done wrong?

This is my incubator http://www.mypetchicken.com/catalog/Incubators-and-accessories/Octagon-10-Incubator-p435.aspx

Thank you

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
I have never hatched chicks, and sorry to say don't know Celsius temps to comment on that. I'm sure someone will come along who could advise you. I know from following the many "hatch-a-longs "on BYC that even many very experienced folks have periods of horrible hatches, especially from shipping, expensive eggs. It happens to everyone.

Yorkshire Coop

BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Aug 16, 2014
UK
My Coop
My Coop
Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! There are so many factors that can play a role in your eggs not hatching. Here are a few things to consider >
Parent birds health and age
Quality of eggs
How eggs were stored prior to incubation
Humidity during day 1-18 Did the air sacs grow correctly?
Turning of the eggs during incubation
Temp during incubation and was the temp correct. Do you have a trusted thermometer? I've just looked at your incubator and although it says a Brinsea I can't say I've seen or heard of that type from Brinsea and its seems very cheap in price for a Brinsea. If I were you I would certainly take a look at the official Brinsea website for your incubator. It may just be they are not available over here in the UK where I am. If not I would reccomend you double check the temp is right in yours.

Here is an excellent article on incubation failures and possible causes >
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-failure-to-hatch-diagnosing-incubation-problems

Good luck with your future hatches.

Top Bottom