Newbie hatching basics

KentChickenLady

Chirping
Feb 14, 2020
Good morning (uk time) first time Hatcher and all I describe is the feeling of waiting for Christmas as child! Ok so I know it’s absolute basics, but just a bit of reassurance is needed with my dates I think.

I put my eggs in on Saturday 25th January at 2pm . So would that make today day 20 and tomorrow day 21? I only put 6 in (polish) and pulled two out just before I locked down as they hadn’t progressed anymore with the others. Temp has been at 37.5 consistently and at 30-40% until lockdown and then I raised it to 60-70% ... I’m literally chewing my nails! Woke up every few hours just to check through the night too (I know it’s early) so glad I found this place I’ve scrawled through so many threads and found a wealth of information !

How thrilling!
Im a tad envious, full up here so I have to hatch vicariously through others lol.:)
Awww😍 I’m just starting out and I’ve seriously got the bug! I can’t believe how much joy I get from my birds 💕 I have planned the whole weekend around them too, spent yesterday doing absolutely everything so the path was clear just for them 😆

Ahh yes!
You've got the spark for sure talking like that.
Just wait, it gets better and better but it is very addictive worse than any gambling or drug addiction ever had time to be lol! ;)
Awww😍 I’m just starting out and I’ve seriously got the bug! I can’t believe how much joy I get from my birds 💕 I have planned the whole weekend around them too, spent yesterday doing absolutely everything so the path was clear just for them 😆

Ahh yes!
You've got the spark for sure talking like that.
Just wait, it gets better and better but it is very addictive worse than any gambling or drug addiction ever had time to be lol! ;)
My partner already feels lower in the hierarchy 😂😂🙈 but he also sees the happiness they bring so win win! We started with three and it’s just growing and growing , ducks too now😂😍

Now, just as many first hatches go perfectly smooth too.
Don't let the horror stories rattle you, you've done your research so that is huge!
And on the off chance something isn't right you have this huge pool of experience to help.:)
Thank you !! I will do. I know I shouldn’t expect too much as a lot of first time hatches do go wrong😕☹ I’m trying so hard not to be excited in case ... but I can’t!!

You’ve made it to day 21 so exciting!! Do send pictures!!
Random question to those with lots of hatching experience. How many males and females do you get out of a bunch? I know it’s random, but has there been any consistency at all?

Nope, always an absolute crap shoot.
Hubs and myself have started hedging bets at this point. :)
You’ve made it to day 21 so exciting!! Do send pictures!!
Random question to those with lots of hatching experience. How many males and females do you get out of a bunch? I know it’s random, but has there been any consistency at all?

Back
Top Bottom