Newbie Hatching with a broody hen

corgiluva

Hatching
10 Years
Dec 27, 2009
I have a Black Copper Maran hen setting on 5 eggs (3 BCM and 2 BCM/black sexlink x) since 3/28 in the evening when she came in she got on the nest and has stayed there since. I counted 21 days to be 4/18 which was Sunday. Monday am one of the sexlink x chicks hatched and nothing since. So today is day 24, no pipping or chirping from the eggs. Do the marans take longer to hatch? What are the odds the others will hatch out? I figure I will give them a few more days since the hen doesnt seem to be looking to get off the nest. The new chick is eating and drinking and doing well so far. Getting anxious hoping to get a few more marans so hope they are viable.

Sometimes they take a while longer. I've had chicks hatch out at 23 days. If the hen was keeping them not quite as warm as an incubator, they might take longer to hatch.

However, given that one hatched out on Monday, the rest should have been soon thereafter, too. You can try candleing for motion, but it's tough with the Marans eggs.

You should be able to hear peeping the day before the hatch, and I'd be worried if there was still no peeping by day 24. You can let her set on them for a few more days if you like, but you should be prepared for them to possibly not hatch.

Back
Top Bottom