Newbie hatching

That was a great article. I recandled and my air cells appear ti be on target. I could see movement in all eggs. My daughter was so excited. We at first didn't see movement in the smallest egg. So I re-candled it after we were done with the others. We saw it move around. She was excited and said "We have a survivor!".
I truly appreciate all of your advice. Will keep you posted on our progress.

That was a great article. I recandled and my air cells appear ti be on target. I could see movement in all eggs. My daughter was so excited. We at first didn't see movement in the smallest egg. So I re-candled it after we were done with the others. We saw it move around. She was excited and said "We have a survivor!".
I truly appreciate all of your advice. Will keep you posted on our progress.

That's great news! I actually just candled my eggs (they are on day 15) and there is one egg I've been kinda worried about. A small section is clear with no veining, which is abnormal. I couldn't see movement last night but I was patient tonight and definitely saw the chick moving. I hope it makes it to hatch. Glad to hear your air cells are good and you saw movement in your questionable one too!! :fl for both of ours!

Rubynala97, how did your hatch go. I am on day 21 and no pips. I candles at day 18 before lockdown and all eggs looked dark and saw some movement in most. Didn't keep them out of the incubator very long. Very worried I haven't seen anything. It all looked so good!

Rubynala97, how did your hatch go. I am on day 21 and no pips. I candles at day 18 before lockdown and all eggs looked dark and saw some movement in most. Didn't keep them out of the incubator very long. Very worried I haven't seen anything. It all looked so good!

Hey! My hatch went well. Out of 11 eggs, 10 hatched. The one egg that I was worried about with the spot with no veining, was the one egg that did not hatch. I kinda knew that would happen. Thanks for asking. So you're on day 21 and no external pips yet? During lockdown I candle twice a day until I either have internal pips or external pips. It's amazing how much you learn from seeing the egg during the last couple days. Does your incubator hold humidity well? What are you keeping it at for lockdown? If you decide to candle what you want to look for is something called "draw down". Right before the chick internally pips the air cell grows dramatically and it forms around the chick. You can usually see the outline of the chick. If you see a little, moving triangle in the air cell that is an internal pip. If you have internal pips you can usually hear peeping but not always. Before you open the incubator shine a flashlight on each egg through the window and double check for external pips. Sometimes they can be super small...just a tiny little crack. If there is no draw down (which there should be by day 21 unless your temps were really low) then at least see if you can see movement so you know if they are still alive.

My incubator has held consistently 72-74% humidity. I have my temps around 97F degrees. Will candle in the am as I am at work tonight. I am so anxious about them. Things had looked so good on day 18.

My incubator has held consistently 72-74% humidity. I have my temps around 97F degrees. Will candle in the am as I am at work tonight. I am so anxious about them. Things had looked so good on day 18.

Did you lower temp for lockdown or is that what it's been? Humidity sounds good. If you have no pips it will not hurt anything to candle the eggs and it will let you know what's going on. Just be gentle and let me know what's going on! :fl

I HAVE PIPS! IN fact my daughter and Inare watching the first try to hatch. We are so excited! Thank you for all of your wonderful advice runynala97.

Back
Top Bottom