Newbie help 1 dead and the rest are quiet?

tomary, how are your chicks doing? Hope everything's going OK.

Do you know how old they are? If they were very young (less than 5-6 days), they would probably sleep a lot.

Unfortunately when you buy very young chicks from those big bins, there will be a small number of them who just can't handle the stress of the situation, and will physically succumb for reasons beyond your control. It can be upsetting, I know.

Please keep us posted! Good luck with the rest of your new babies.

Last edited:
They seem to be doing fine so far. I guess I just freaked a little when that one died this morning. I just cleaned up their newspaper and paper towels and everybody had a drink and a bite to eat and a poop on the fresh towels. You know there is nothing like pooping on fresh towels!!
smile.png
Then they passed out just about right where they were standing.
I hear a little twitter every once in a while. I guess I didn't realize that the loud PEEPs meant they were unhappy. So I guess the little twitters are better?
I just want to thank everyone for being so supportive. I said I wasn't going to get too attached but they are already my baby girls. ( I have 2 little boys and a husband so its nice to have some other females around!)

klf73, thanks for the attention on the chart for lower temps. Will be watching this thread to see of you ever can find the source. Can be hard to do when it was online, I know.

tomary98, I thing you've got it on the little twitters vs. the loud peeps. You are watching/listening to them. That's what it takes. You will do fine. Looks to me like the loud peeps are usually about pecking order. I love to listen to that twittering, and watch chicken TV....

There was another thread here on how they sometimes sing. I want to hear that!

Quote:
I hear you! I have two boys and a DH and the girls (well, hopefully at least one, straight runs and all...) are a nice balance for all of the male energy, lol! Now that I've said that I'll no doubt end up with more roos!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Yes, all the books/posts I have read say the same thing: start at 95 degrees and drop the temp 5 degrees each week:
Week 1: 95 degrees
Week 2: 90 degrees
Week 3: 85
"
"
The temp above should be in the brooder under the light. Be sure the chicks can move away to a cooler area. The chicks should self-regulate.

I agree with Bullwinkle, It sounds like maybe your brooder needs to be larger, large enough where the chicks can move out from under the heated area. Good luck with the babies !

When they are quiet like that I'm pretty sure it usually means they are content.

On a related topic: I woke up this morning at 6:00 to a screaming chick in the laundry room next door. I got up to find what was going on, and it turns out that he had somehow ninja-hopped his way out of the brooder and couldn't figure out how to get back in! Lol.

As long as they don't sound distressed, I wouldn't be worried. Everything sounds perfect.

Back
Top Bottom