Newbie help needed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mscoloradochick, Oct 10, 2013.

1. mscoloradochick

mscoloradochick Just Hatched

Oct 7, 2013
    Arvada, CO
    Howdy from Colorado! I suppose I'm an 'urban homesteader' but I have a decent sized fenced in run and large doghouse turned coop. a week ago we purchased 7 month old Sussex and an australorps hen (not yet laying). Yesterday we added 6 month old laying australorp and RIR. The newest two haven't laid yet (it's only been a day an I chalk it up to the new move) and are sticking by themselves in the corner of the run. I hope this behavior changes as I want them happy and roaming around!

The 'older' and much larger black australorp - and the Sussex, really - have been picking on them and running them into the corner from time to time. I guess my question is a two parter. 1. Do I need to do anything to stop them from getting picked on and into the corner or will the pecking order run its route in a week or so. And 2. Is my big lady a lady?!? I'm beginning to think she's acting like a male, but she hasn't crowed yet.

Sorry for rambling, I'm SO new at this and want to do everything possible to have happy healthy LAYING hens :)[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They will require some time to work out the "pecking orders" themselves
    Just be patiernt while they do it

Your Australorp DOES look a little like a rooster from those pictures.
    It won't take too long to figure it out for sure

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by