Newbie Here and I need help.

WVBarker

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 13, 2008
I have 6 Red Stars and they were born some time around Valentines Day. They seem very happy but they are not laying eggs yet and that seems to be a little late to me. They are not free ranging but we do let them out once in awhile. I am positive that there have been no eggs. I may not be feeding them enough as we feed and water them once a day and someone told me to keep feed in front of them at all times. I also have not had a light on at night since it started to cool down here in West Virginia but it has only gotten down in the 50's.If you have any ideas let me know.

Geez, Barker, THAT is late! My EE's are 24 wks old and not laying either. They do free range, but haven't found any nest yet. Make sure they have laying feed at all times with oyster shells and grit (all you can eat buffet) since yours don't get to free range much. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you.
Good luck!

i agree with the food amount. free choice may be a better option. if they don't have enough energy to live and make eggs, eggs will wait.

hope it works out and the girls start givin' up the goods!
wink.png

I not only feed mine their laying mash, also corn and "Subway" stale bread plus they are all free ranging. I have 8 hens I get 8 eggs a day. I also give them veggies or try too, some like them some dont, left over cereal, old crackers, stuff like that. My mom even likes to lauch burrito shells in the yard which is quite comical to see the hens chasing them. Good Luck to ya!

I recieved some red stars in march and they layed at about 18 weeks. Feeding layer ration and sometimes 24% starter and a scratch or cracked corn. They free range. My light is on at night to keep away the varmits.

Back
Top Bottom