Newbie here getting my day olds in a week!

Oh awesome I actually read that article yesterday about the heating pad cave. I was going to try that too, but the same idea applies. How do I know if its hot enough? A thermometer left in the blanket cave should just reach 95 degrees after sitting for a while?

Absolutely not that would be very dangerous.

The mama heating pad is AWESOME..

The chicks get warm from a mama heat pad ( MHP) by touching their backs to it. It won’t feel but a few degrees above ambient below the pad but that’s not how it’s supposed to work.

You throw out your thermometer and all these rules and all this worrying with an MHP. You raise it an inch or two a week to keep it the height of the chicks but you’ll be done in 4-5 weeks anyway as they feather out so quickly.

I am to the point now where I think anyone using a heat lamp just hasn’t learned about the MHP because there’s no way I would do anything different.

Chicks outside at Day 1, with an MHP in their coop. No messy dust in the house and you will be shocked almost to the point of disgust in 5 weeks when you compare photos of your chicks to photos of chicks someone has inside under a heat lamp (your chicks will look stronger, more feathers , etc)

E7982EE8-9B55-44E8-96EC-8632134C835A.jpeg
2951B783-3C6A-4532-AE63-361CADE5A1C5.jpeg

Welcome! It sounds like you have everything well planned, and you are getting excellent advice about the heating pads. I personally would not use clear sides for a coop, especially in summer when it is hot out, but you can try it and see. If worse comes to worse, you could hang tarps around it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy BYC and find it helpful.

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! We are glad you joined the flock!:welcome BYC is a helpful site providing all of the information you need to know about poultry. There is always space for members on the BYC roost!:highfive:

A movable coop also known as "skids and runners," was a clever idea if you want your chickens to foraging various sections of the property different times of the year. Especially, when some areas are more plentiful.

Hope you enjoy it here as much as we all do!

Welcome! It sounds like you have everything well planned, and you are getting excellent advice about the heating pads. I personally would not use clear sides for a coop, especially in summer when it is hot out, but you can try it and see. If worse comes to worse, you could hang tarps around it. Anyway, I hope you enjoy BYC and find it helpful.
During the summer I was planning to keep it under an awning we have in my backyard so it'll be in the shade. Would adding in a fan or something maybe help for the nights where it's real hot?

Back
Top Bottom