Newbie here! Need some help from any SE PA folks!?

ecrist775

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
Hello! I live in South Eastern PA, near Reading to be specific. I so desperately want to keep chickens in my backyard. I know of a few people that DO in my area. BUT a neighbor has been telling me that they technically are NOT allowed and the township CAN take them away from me. We were planning on building out own coop this year to get ready for them next spring (we want to do this perfectly right). I am seeking ANYONE who lives near me or might know how to find out if chickens are allowed in my area or not. I don't want to get them, work hard to take good care of them, only to get them taken from me. I don't know what to do!! Thanks for any help!

Welcome to BYC from Michigan. The first thing you need to do is contact your zoning board commisioner. He will be able to tell exactly what is allowed and what isn't. Like you, I'd hate to go through all the work & excitement of preparing, gettting & raising them to only have someone report or say You"re not allowed and give ya a fine. Good luck and get making some phone calls!!
wink.png

Welcome to BYC. I hope it all works in your favor. But if you can read between the lines, it sounds like your neighbor would be the first to complain. If it's allowed, offer your neighbor eggs when the time comes. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom