Newbie here with a question about hen's laying..

user 85003

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
So I'm new to the whole chicken thing! I have 5 Buff Orpington Hen's and 1 BO rooster. I got them when they were chicks. My question is..last night I was out in the backyard and found 2 eggs right next to each other both were soft. Is this normal for first time laying or should I get oyster shells? Also, since I found them in the yard, I put their nesting boxes in the coop right away and put two fake eggs in them. I'm wondering if they will know to lay in the boxes or not? Thanks for any advice you can give me!!

Time for oyster shells.
smile.png
And they will learn to use the boxes, but it might take a few tries.

Thanks! How long do you think it will take? I checked the backyard tonight and didn't find any. I will get the oyster shells..I just hope they learn to lay in the coop nest boxes!! Again Thanks

Heh, basically new too, my girls are 25 weeks. Last week I had a rhode Island lay two eggs both with no shells only membrane holding it. I have read this is normal , at first. Today I had a barred rock sit in her box for 45min. when I went out she stood up and popped out a marble size round egg!!!! it was so funny, I asked her what is that ,she looked between her legs and then me and hopped out of the nest, like "did anyone see me!" I also have a girl laying a 2 1/2" eggs every now and then, they usually have two or three yolks in them. I have started them with oyster shells, and I do have chickens eating eggs. One leghorn lets others in her box and then sits on their eggs, she'll even look for a box with eggs to sit on. So don't worry too much, from what I read and hear all this goes with chickens. I do enjoy this site because there is help and answers.
jumpy.gif

you can also keep your girls locked in the coop for a little longer in the morning for the next few days - basically, don't give them the option of laying in the yard. usually waiting until noon is pretty safe when training them, but check and see, everyone is different hah. once they've used the nest boxes two or three times, you can let them out early as per usual
smile.png

Quote:
Should I let my Rooster out first and then shut the door? I'm not sure he would like that!!! lol!

i wouldn't bother. he'll get upset being separated from his ladies. none of them are going to -like- it per se, but it's not like you're torturing them, and usually they catch on in less than a week. as long as your coop is ventilated enough (and has food and water in it) that it won't cook them if it's hot where you are. they'll be fine
smile.png

user 85003,

This is even more weird. I have 4 pullets. I found yellow solid masses in the poop pile, but these masses looked a lot like dried-up yolk. Since then, they are laying normally.

I found one egg in the coop this morning, it wasn't in a nesting box but at least it was in the coop!! Hopefully they will continue lay in the coop!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom