Newbie here with questions :)

attachedmama

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Hello,
I am thrilled to have found such a great forum!
I have a few ques.
We recently added chickens and a rooster to our little family farm here in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains in NC.
Here are my concerns/ques.
We had a raccoon break into our pen and drag a rooster THROUGH a cage and he was killed. THat was the kick off to our chicken rearing
sad.png

We now have a VERY secure pen and coop. I lock the girls and rooster in at night now every night, complete with a lock and bricks securing the lift up-able roof to avoid it happening again. The thing I am not sure of though, is they are locked in from about 8 pm till 8 am. I have 4 children and usually cannot let them out till at least 7:30am. There are windows in the coop, but is this enough "light" for them to not be getting jipped of the amt. of sun light? I was told they were all born in April, but I have yet to see an egg. Should I supplement their light?

My other question...really gonna sound new at this....
I was sold 4 hens from one woman. Very nice, great farm etc. SHe seemed pretty knowledgable and has been raising many farm animals for many years. All of the sudden my "dominant" hen has started "trying" (not so eloquently I might add) to crow!!?? This is only since I have added a bantam rooster to the pack. THey do not fight or anything, but "she" does rule the pen...eats first, etc. Is SHE a HE?? How can I tell for sure? If she is a he, do I have to get rid of the one of the roosters? THey do not free range due to our very large animal pop. here (coyote, fox, etc) If "she" is "he" can they co-exist in harmony? Or will they start fighting over the hens at some point? They are all the same age approx. born sometime in April.

Jennifer~Homeschooling mama to Julianna 1996
Noah born at home 2002, and Elijah waterborne at home 2004, Isabella waterborne at home into mama's hands 2007
*Meet us here!*
www.tinyurl.com/34ofsz

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif

As to the light question...I would think that they would benefit from more light, but its not absolutely required.

A bantam rooster will most likely be ok with standard sized hens. One of your hens may only be "acting" like a rooster. (they usually only do that in the absence of a rooster) The best way to help us help you is to show us some pics of your flock.

But basically if there is enough room for everyone, then you shouldn't have too much problem.
big_smile.png

Good luck and keep asking...there are no dumb questions!
D.gif

~Rebecca

I just started turning the light on the coop so they could get more light so I would get more producton out of the girls. My young flock I have in lock down right now with the older girls so they can learn where they need to lay, I think they have a hidey hole. I have a couple of very dominant hens and I have 5 roo's. Some just have attitudes, like people. And I agree you should have plenty of room for your flock. But you'll come too find out pictures help out a lot on this forum if possible.
welcome-byc.gif
P.S. I have banty's and they can mate with the big girls too. They may be little(but don't tell them that!)LOL,
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Thank you for all your help. I am posting a link to the pictures...I couldnt figure out how to post the pics here
sad.png

They are all named...the one named Karen is the hen/roo in ques. Can you also help me ID the breeds while you're looking? I think Karen is buff/leghorn cross, Violet a rock type, Opie a black sex link cross, and Classy a golden comet maybe cross?
I could be wrong on all! LOL
Oh, and she/he crowed this a.m. like a real rooster...I think I might know my answer...I just dont want to have to get rid of anyone!

http://photobucket.com/stairsfamilychickenflock

Thanks in advance!!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Karen is a roo. See the pointed saddle feathers?
If he was mine, I keep the name; but then again I have a female dog named Charlie.
tongue.png

Thank you for the reply....can I keep Karen AND the batam rooster? Or are they going to try and kill each other as they mature? They are both 6 months.
Thanks again!

Quote:
How many hens do you in total? My biggest concern would not be the boys fighting, but overmating the hens. Overmating leads to stress on the hens. Any stress on a hen can throw her off of egg laying.
My two roosters live in harmony, but I have enough hens to keep them happy.

I thought I had 4 and one rooster. Now I guess three and 2 roosters. We want to add more hens (even before this) I wanted to make it 6-8. Would that be enough? Also they are in a pen that is 30ft by 15 ft is that enough to accomodate this #? I am afraid of free ranging them due to our vast wildlife pop. and an already killed rooster due to them not being enclosed and confined.
Do you know what the other girls and the roosters breeds are. I am not sure if I am correct. And do the others (besides the banty and Karen) look like they are REALLY hens?

Let me say right off that I don't know the breeds well. Karen and Charlie are the two roos I see right off, but Violet worries me too.
hmm.png

Try posting the link to your pics in the what breed/gender category and I'm sure some experts will weigh in.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom