Newbie here with tons of questions!!! Help!

I love my Buffs! I just want to add something that I thought for sure someone would but didn't-when your chicks are small it is not a good idea to let your children handle them because of Salmonella! The Center For Disease Control boldly says so! For the first few weeks birds-even from well reputed hatcheries- have a high chance of having Salmonella! I am studying to be a nurse and it really is something to be concerned about.

I love my Buffs! I just want to add something that I thought for sure someone would but didn't-when your chicks are small it is not a good idea to let your children handle them because of Salmonella! The Center For Disease Control boldly says so! For the first few weeks birds-even from well reputed hatcheries- have a high chance of having Salmonella! I am studying to be a nurse and it really is something to be concerned about

Apparently I need to go to bed! I was reading this like salmonella like from raw chicken?! Rofl ummmmm duh huh a live chicken is pretty raw! Lmbo! Would it not be ok just to practice good hygiene after touching the chicks? Hand washing well?

Apparently I need to go to bed! I was reading this like salmonella like from raw chicken?! Rofl ummmmm duh huh a live chicken is pretty raw! Lmbo! Would it not be ok just to practice good hygiene after touching the chicks? Hand washing well?

Not for small children. They don't have good immune systems. But around 3 weeks should be okay for them to touch and they are still cute little cuddly chicks! Hand washing a must always, even for you and even when the birds are older. ALWAYS WASH HANDS! don't fret, chickens are fun fun!

If I just get hens should I stick to just one breed? Or maybe a few buff orps a few jersey giants and a few astrlopes (? I have no idea if that is spelled right). I just want calm friendly dual purpose birds....

I think single breed or mixed flock is totally up to you. I wanted a diverse colorful looking flock so I went with different breed but went with all cold hardy (I'm in MA), docile, and good laying breeds. If you are thinking of breeding then it seems to me a single breed would make it easier without having to keep breeds separated.

As for hatchery or breeder. One deciding factor might be if you decide to do a flock of different breeds. Maybe easier to get a bunch of different breeds from a hatchery as opposed to finding breeders of each of those breeds with chicks hatching at the same time. I actually have 3 hatchery chicks (got 4 but one died) and then added 2 more from a local breeder. To my newbie totally inexperienced eyes I can't tell the difference. Not planning on showing (unless my kids decide to do 4H) so I am more focused on personality type and good layers. (Oh all my chicks also happen to be dual purpose breeds in addition to docile, cold hardy, and good layers).

If you are thinking of other breeds there seem like there would be a lot that would fit what you are looking for. I think My Pet Chicken has a "What breed is right for me" kind of tool.

I think single breed or mixed flock is totally up to you.  I wanted a diverse colorful looking flock so I went with different breed but went with all cold hardy (I'm in MA), docile, and good laying breeds. If you are thinking of breeding then it seems to me a single breed would make it easier without having to keep breeds separated.

As for hatchery or breeder.  One deciding factor might be if you decide to do a flock of different breeds.  Maybe easier to get a bunch of different breeds from a hatchery as opposed to finding breeders of each of those breeds with chicks hatching at the same time.  I actually have 3 hatchery chicks (got 4 but one died) and then added 2 more from a local breeder.  To my newbie totally inexperienced eyes I can't tell the difference.  Not planning on showing (unless my kids decide to do 4H) so I am more focused on personality type and good layers.  (Oh all my chicks also happen to be dual purpose breeds in addition to docile, cold hardy, and good layers).

If you are thinking of other breeds there seem like there would be a lot that would fit what you are looking for.  I think My Pet
Chicken has a "What breed is right for me"
kind of tool.

Thanks! Just curious since you seem to have the same needs as I do....what breeds do you have?

Anyone have advice on good western Kentucky chicken breeds? Im almost in Tennessee so it gets hot as hades in the summer and cold cold in the winter....if you don't like the weather in Kentucky just wait five minutes! Lol

Back
Top Bottom