Newbie here!

henchick726

Hatching
May 21, 2016
Longtown, OK
Hi everyone, I have had backyard chickens for 2 months now. I have enjoyed reading threads and learning from everyone's experiences. Chickens have quickly become my new bff's. I have 6 laying hens 12-16 months old from what I've been told, bovan browns.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great to hear you have found BYC helpful, it sure is a great place for all the learning. Chicken ps sure do have a way of become friends with, i can't imagine not having them now.

Good luck with your hens in the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Hello everyone. I have a A Orpington and she has been in the nesting box for the past two days, she barely moves and will not come out.
Any suggestions or experience?
Thank you

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great to hear you have found BYC helpful, it sure is a great place for all the learning. Chicken ps sure do have a way of become friends with, i can't imagine not having them now.

Good luck with your hens in the future. Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Thanks for the welcome! Glad to be here!

Hello everyone. I have a A Orpington and she has been in the nesting box for the past two days, she barely moves and will not come out.
Any suggestions or experience?
Thank you

It sounds like she is going broody.

CT

Hi everyone, I have had backyard chickens for 2 months now. I have enjoyed reading threads and learning from everyone's experiences. Chickens have quickly become my new bff's. I have 6 laying hens 12-16 months old from what I've been told, bovan browns.

Hi and welcome to our community - great to have you onboard with us.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center, and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread

All the best
CT

Herevia,

Some breeds of chicken are very broody, meaning they like to sit on eggs and hatch out chicks. Orpingtons are one of the common broodies. Do you have a rooster with your hens? If not the eggs are infertile and will never hatch. If you could get some fertile eggs(any breed) and swap them out for hers - she would hatch them for you..and raise them as her own.

Some serious broodies will not leave their nest even to eat, drink or poop. In that case you must put them out two or three times a day to handle their personal needs- otherwise then can starve themselves to death. That would also be a great time to swap her eggs out for viable ones.

Last edited:
Welcome to Backyard chickens, Henchick, so glad you joined the flock
frow.gif

Probably broody, especially this time of year. Are there any eggs under her? Not absolutely necessary to determine she's broody- I have had broodies sit for weeks on nothing but if she's sick instead of broody, she's unlikely to be sitting on eggs. Does she squash herself flat like a pancake or ruffle her feathers up when you check on her? Does she make any noise like low growling or grumbling when you get close? Those are all possible broody signs. Most broodies will get up once or twice a day to eat and poop. Even if you don't see her do that, you might see giant broody poops in the pen (several times the size of a normal poop).

Back
Top Bottom