Newbie here

Jlhusch

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2020
Hi, my name is Jaime. I recently got into raising chickens on dec 1/2019. I find it so much fun and I wish I would have discovered this hobby years ago. I do need some help thou and I’m not too sure where to post it but I have a flock of 12 1yr old sex a link hens.. I just picked up at 5 month old amaracana x rooster yesterday and introduced him into the flock... he won’t go near them and at night literally sleeps behind the laying boxes and won’t come out in the day unless I force him to... I still don’t know if he’s eaten or had water... today all he does is pace the back fence trying to get out.. do u think he will calm down and eventually take a liking to my hens? I’d love for him to mate so I can get some fertilized eggs for hatching.. I’m sooo new to chicken raising. Please help

Ok so this is what I’m trying as of right now because I felt sick to my stomach after reading these reply’s... I’m soooo thankful for all of your replies.... anyways... I just let all of the hens out of the coop and run because they love to forage all day so they are all happy right now out digging up the dirt for bugs and such.. which is so fun to watch btw... and I let him have his own space inside the run and the coop by himself so he can get to feel a bit more relaxed... I was thinking every morning doing that and then adding 1 hen back in each day to spend with him... I dunno... that’s really my only option because I can’t catch him to put him in a separate cage... and I was also thinking of building him his own roost up high in the corner so he can have that to himself if he wants so he doesn’t have to hide behind the laying boxes... let me know what you think. I appreciate all of this

You put a roost up high an I bet you’ll have a hen on it. They aren’t picking on him are they? I like your idea of one hen at a time for introduction during the day. Others may have better ideas my Roos are hatched here so they get to know the hens we’ll before breeding begins.

You put a roost up high an I bet you’ll have a hen on it. They aren’t picking on him are they? I like your idea of one hen at a time for introduction during the day. Others may have better ideas my Roos are hatched here so they get to know the hens we’ll before breeding begins.

no they actually just act like he’s not there..no aggression at all with any of them between him or them.. maybe just between the hens.. some will peck at each other

Ok so this is what I’m trying as of right now because I felt sick to my stomach after reading these reply’s... I’m soooo thankful for all of your replies.... anyways... I just let all of the hens out of the coop and run because they love to forage all day so they are all happy right now out digging up the dirt for bugs and such.. which is so fun to watch btw... and I let him have his own space inside the run and the coop by himself so he can get to feel a bit more relaxed... I was thinking every morning doing that and then adding 1 hen back in each day to spend with him... I dunno... that’s really my only option because I can’t catch him to put him in a separate cage... and I was also thinking of building him his own roost up high in the corner so he can have that to himself if he wants so he doesn’t have to hide behind the laying boxes... let me know what you think. I appreciate all of this
Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
This is a good idea except for the high roost. The head hen will be up there. Give this poor guy some time. Those hens are going to ride herd on him but that isn't a bad thing. Just give him a week or two where he is alone or with just one hen so he can adjust to his new home and harem.

Back
Top Bottom