Newbie here!

SKW

Chirping
May 31, 2022
I have 4.5 week old fully feathered chicks. I’m a new chick mom and because it’s been so warm here in Indiana, I moved them to the coop which they seem to love. I bought a prefab coop from tractor supply and i would love suggestions on improving it.

I’ve secured wire all around the bottom so predators can not dig under. I do have coyotes, fox and one of my dogs can not be trusted. I plan on putting more wire around the bottom, but let me know your thoughts. 🐥 TIA!!

Glad I found this group!

Attachments

• 7BCC58A7-984F-409B-952C-03E1BBF8505B.jpeg
    7BCC58A7-984F-409B-952C-03E1BBF8505B.jpeg
    562.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 3E54EDBB-6851-4FE8-B0D6-884440D3A3CD.jpeg
    3E54EDBB-6851-4FE8-B0D6-884440D3A3CD.jpeg
    784.5 KB · Views: 2
  • A106933A-B640-47E9-8C6D-89A435C61E3B.jpeg
    A106933A-B640-47E9-8C6D-89A435C61E3B.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 78986597-8897-4679-8517-88586BECC0D4.jpeg
    78986597-8897-4679-8517-88586BECC0D4.jpeg
    576.6 KB · Views: 2
Drawbacks with many prefabs is lack of ventilation and lack of space. How many chickens do you have? Ideally you want a minimum of 1 sq ft of draft free ventilation 24/7 in the coop, per bird. And as far as space, do you have the internal measurements of the coop section NOT INCLUDING nest boxes, as well as the "run" section? Is the plan to let the birds going to free range once they get older?

Here's an idea to kill 2 birds with 1 stone:
To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/

Welcome to BYC.

If you put your general location into your profile people will be able to give better targeted advice when you ask question.

@rosemarythyme has given you excellent advice so far but here's some general information in re: housing.

The Usual Guidelines
For each adult, standard-sized hen you need:
  • 4 square feet in the coop (.37 square meters)
  • 10 square feet in the run (.93 square meters),
  • 1 linear foot of roost (.3 meters),
  • 1/4 of a nest box,
  • And 1 square foot (.09 square meters) of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation, preferably located over the birds' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

Drawbacks with many prefabs is lack of ventilation and lack of space. How many chickens do you have? Ideally you want a minimum of 1 sq ft of draft free ventilation 24/7 in the coop, per bird. And as far as space, do you have the internal measurements of the coop section NOT INCLUDING nest boxes, as well as the "run" section? Is the plan to let the birds going to free range once they get older?

Here's an idea to kill 2 birds with 1 stone:
To turn it from 2 small "boxes" (tiny coop above tiny run) into 1 bigger "box" you'll want to remove as much of the inside coop wall as possible, plus the floor. Take out the old roosts too.

Nests might be able to stay as is, or may need to be relocated elsewhere or replaced - depends on the structure of the coop and how things inside stack up once done.

Run a new roost(s) lengthwise or widthwise across the newly open space, depending on how much roost is needed. Ideally you’d like 12” per bird but 10” can suffice in many cases.

Board up some of the external wire walls so that the roost area is protected from winds and rain. Do NOT fully cover up all the wire, you need ventilation and natural light, so at the very least a few inches under the roofline should remain open. If your climate allows for it, you can leave entire walls open with just the mesh, or make it convertible for the season by covering up open walls for winter, and then uncovering for summer.

Example of a modified prefab: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-renovated-prefab-coop.1440258/
Thank you! I live in Indiana. Currently temps have been 75-80 through the day and 65 in the evening.

I have 3 chickens. 2 reds and wondering if the third is going to be a rooster! 😅

I do plan on letting them free range and fencing it in.

Thank you again!

Thank you! I live in Indiana. Currently temps have been 75-80 through the day and 65 in the evening.

I have 3 chickens. 2 reds and wondering if the third is going to be a rooster! 😅

I do plan on letting them free range and fencing it in.

Thank you again!
With 3 birds, converting the entire unit into a coop should easily meet your space needs for coop space, as well as ventilation needs as long as you keep an adequate amount of the wire uncovered.

Back
Top Bottom