Newbie Here!

knn04001

In the Brooder
Jan 31, 2023
Hey y’all!

I’m a born & raised Texan, military wife, mom of four, & homeschooler, looking to gather all that I can so that our family will be successful chicken owners. We recently moved onto some acreage in central TX, and now that we are settled in our home, we have decided we’d love to become more focused on our family’s health, and feel owning free-ranging chickens will be a wonderful way to do that. We’d love to teach our children the importance of being good stewards and working hard, caring about what we eat, and we also are looking forward to enjoying the special quirks and personalities that we believe chickens will bring to our family. So all that being said, we are extremely excited to gather all that we can, and thank y’all in advance for your support and help!!!

Our future chickens will need to be:
Heat tolerant, gentle natured, high egg producing, & successful at free-ranging

Hey y’all!

I’m a born & raised Texan, military wife, mom of four, & homeschooler, looking to gather all that I can so that our family will be successful chicken owners. We recently moved onto some acreage in central TX, and now that we are settled in our home, we have decided we’d love to become more focused on our family’s health, and feel owning free-ranging chickens will be a wonderful way to do that. We’d love to teach our children the importance of being good stewards and working hard, caring about what we eat, and we also are looking forward to enjoying the special quirks and personalities that we believe chickens will bring to our family. So all that being said, we are extremely excited to gather all that we can, and thank y’all in advance for your support and help!!!

Welcome to BYC!!

Hey y’all!

:welcome

Based on your criteria, I'd suggest starting with Barred rocks and Delawares. Very heat tolerant, lay 4-5 eggs a week, pretty mellow, and have no problems with free range. I live in AZ and we've never had any issues with them in the summer heat. Orps and australorps are also popular in TX because they acclimate well. Make sure you have shade and protect them from predators, and enjoy!

Welcome to the forum! Definitely take a look at the articles section of our forum, it has a wealth of knowledge just a few clicks away! As for breeds that would suit you, you can make a thread asking people here for more suggestions, I'm sure they'll come up with great ones! My personal recommendations would be leghorns, they lay big, white eggs very frequently, they're a Mediterranean breed so they're very heat hardy, they don't tend to stop laying at a certain age, with a little extra calcium supplementation they can do just fine, and, while not the friendiest and cuddliest of chickens, that makes them great for free ranging, as they can fly and run and dart around and hide from predators! Pluuuus, they seem to not eat as much as one would expect, probably because they are a little on the smaller size (but don't expect massive differences in feed consumption). Good luck establishing your flock, hope to see you around :welcome

Back
Top Bottom