Newbie here

martz0r

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Hello from Florida!

Yesterday I was just browsing Craigslist and saw 1-3 wk. old Muscovy ducklings for $4 each. I don't know what part of me it was that decided to randomly get a couple of ducklings but after doing some ninja research and a trip to Tractor Supply, I picked these two little ones up.

ducks1.jpg

ducks2.jpg

They are certainly a lot more comfortable with me now than when I first picked them up. Poor things were sitting in their own poop in a box smaller than a shoebox.

Just let them have a bath in the bathtub (not too much water) and cleaned out their bin. Fresh water, towels, and some feed and they are doing great.

Last edited:
Cute! Make sure not to leave them in the water too long (no more than 15 minutes), and always supervise them until they get their feathers!

Thanks!

I could sit there and watch them all day. Very interesting creatures. I went out to the back yard and picked a couple small yellow dandelions and picked them apart. They really seemed to like them. Going to pick up some lettuce for them to snack on today. Fortunately I think they know their bowl of water is for drinking as they don't go in and splash around just drink and clean their vents with it.

Question as far as lighting goes. They are in my garage right now and don't have the lamp on. It is 87 degrees right now. At night the garage stays warm, between 70-80. Do I need to keep the lamp on them at night, or are they OK without it?

Don't over do it with ducklings.... Just game bird starter crumbles for now. Dandelions, etc later....

Just keep them warm and protected. Do not over feed at this age! Gradually as they grow, add peas, etc to their diet. But NOT now.
old.gif

Thanks, dumb_cluck. The only food they have accessible right now is the starter crumbles.

Any ideas on the lamp? It is pretty warm here and they seem comfortable.

At night you should keep the lamp on still. Their first wek it should be on 90 degrees, and lowers it 5 degrees each week.
wink.png

Don't forget to give them peas!

Wow MissMaryB... im in North Port also. Off Atwater Dr. I was expecting there to be a Floridian on here but not that close!

Back
Top Bottom