Newbie here :)

melodym

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
We've been raising chickens since about March of this year. Boy has it been a chore, lol. We have a 3yr old who loves to help out and having chickens added onto our little gang is great.
IE. we have a bunny(flossie), 2 turtles (speedy and slowpoke), a dog(bella), a cat (bubbles) and now total we have 11chickens

I do have one concern though. we just acquired 6 bantam chickens (3 roosters, 2hens) and 3 more roosters! It has turned pretty cold here and I'm assuming since we just got these new ones Sat. that they are trying to get into pecking order (who's boss) so were having problems with the new ones being able to get into the coop at night to be near the light. Will this change? or what do we do? thanks

I don't have any chicken experience so I can't help you but
ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

since your not to far from NC do you use a heated lamp in chicken coop or not? I've heard a lot of different opinons and don't know what to believe. They're staying out all day and just seem to go in at night. thanks :)
Ps. its just been around 30* here.

and welcome to the flock, from NC.
Eventually everyone will get used to each other and settle down, it just takes time. As for my flock this winter I do not plan on using any artificial heat sources. I am in the Fayetteville area so it doesn't get terribly cold. I had read an article, on here I believe, that suggested unless you were in an area where it got real cold (around the great lakes/up north) not to use heat because your birds will get used to it and if the power suddenly goes out then the shock from temp. change can kill them quickly. Besides, once they are fully feathered out they are producing a lot of heat all by themselves and will usually huddle together. I plan on putting down extra straw on the coop floor. But, like I said that is my plan. I think it is preference. Good Luck...

Back
Top Bottom