Newbie Here

TallyTaxMan

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 25, 2013
Tallahassee, FL
Hi,

First post and first time chicken raiser (farmer? is that the term?). About me, CPA from Tallahassee FL (TallyTaxMan) whose wife wanted fresh chicken eggs so I said ok and dove right in reading everything I could about raising chickens. We had 30 eggs from a friend that went in an incubator with my 4yr old daughter to school and as of this morning 14 have hatched with two more working their way out.

I'm going to be attempting to build the Purina chicken coop this weekend, but for now the little biddies are keeping warm in an empty fish tank covered with ceder shavings.

Well that's it for now.

Welcome to BYC. The Purina Coop is a nice looking coop, but there is one problem. The coop is only 4x4. Chickens require 4 sq. ft. per bird for interior coop space, and 10 sq. ft. per bird for run space. I don't know how many chickens you were planning to keep in it, but if you over crowd chickens, they will become stressed. When chickens are stressed, they will peck one another, their immune systems will become compromised, their laying ability will be affected, and they will be unhappy. Perhaps you didn't realize this, but you may want to reconsider using that coop design.
Good luck!!
goodluck.gif

Kelly
✿​
Our Country Chronicles
✿​

Thanks Kelly. I should have mentioned we're only planning keeping 4 chicks, the rest are going back to my friend with the farm. Although last night the Mrs. mentioned she might want to keep 8 instead of 4 so it could be back to the drawing board.

welcome-byc.gif
I've heard that people generally avoid cedar shaving(or cedar products) because the oils aren't good for chickens. You may want to check that out.

Check out info about using cedar shavings. When I first posted I think I said I was using cedar shavings and a member was nice enough to email me and say that cedar is bad for them :) Turns out I was really using pine shavings so no harm done.

Welcome and enjoy the new chicks!

Katie

Thanks Kelly. I should have mentioned we're only planning keeping 4 chicks, the rest are going back to my friend with the farm. Although last night the Mrs. mentioned she might want to keep 8 instead of 4 so it could be back to the drawing board.

If I can make a recommendation to you, it is this. I GUARANTEE that you and your family will eventually will want more chickens. It is REALLY a fun rewarding experience. It's so much easier to build bigger than you need now rather than trying to make modifications later or rebuild later. I am all for your wife's desire to go with 8. Chickens are so fun. Have a great time with your 8
chick.gif
's!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom