Newbie in Arizona with French Black Copper Marans

Sausage

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 22, 2013
Arizona, USA
I have been breeding/raising chickens for about 2 years now in Arizona. It started with 3 chicks for my daughter and grew to 63 birds before settling down to a small flock of 30 Hens and 2 Cockerels. It has been a learning experience on coop/pen design (to keep out Coyotes, Bobcats, and Hawks) as well as all the other things associated with raising chickens (feeders, waterers, litter, etc.). My wife and kids all enjoy tending to our flock - Breeding, Incubating, Hatching, Caring, and Showing the birds. They are cage free and all natural and the eggs have the darkest orange yolks around. Happy birds lay GREAT eggs!

Directly tied to that, I am trying to breed to the French Black Copper Marans standard. It is difficult to find quality stock. While my birds are to the standards in looks, egg color is a challenge, and I can get to a 5 at best. I am looking to import some "pure" birds/eggs from France, or known quality source, to improve the lineage. Any guidance and/or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Greetings from Kansas, Sausage, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you with us! Good luck to you and your BCMs!

The problem is not US customs or anything, it is finding someone that can get eggs and a vet sign-off to comply with the regulations The fees are steep, but it would be worth it in my opinion to help bring back the breed.

welcome-byc.gif

Maybe you've already checked this out, but Greenfire Farms has Black Copper Marans:
https://greenfirefarms.com/marans.html
"...our Marans were directly imported from authentic French bloodlines. Greenfire Farms is the only source of black copper Marans that have been certified by the American Poultry Association."

Is that different from what you are looking for?

Back
Top Bottom