Newbie in Atlanta

Dbeau

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 30, 2012
Hi everybody, I recently cleared it with my landlord and neighbor to build a coop in the backyard and have a few chickens. However, the backyard is quite large and overgrown and I'd like some pointer on where I should place it----in the shade under trees or where it gets a little bit of light.

I'm also wondering, since it's starting to get cold in Atlanta, if now is the best time to get some chickens or should I wait until the spring. Any advice would be really helpful because I'm a total greenhorn.

I'm going to post some pics of the backyard when I get home and maybe some of ya'll can give me some pointer on coop placement.

Greetings from Kansas, dbeau, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here. You've asked some good questions. As hot and humid as Atlanta is, I would take advantage of every bit of shade I could get. That will pay off when the heat comes back. In terms of when to get chicks...if you intend to raise them inside a coop or basement or wherever, they will need heat for awhile not matter the time of year. Unsure how cold Atlanta gets but here in Kansas I've ordered chicks in March which tends to be a blustery and wet month for us, and they've been fine - again with being inside with a heat lamp until they were fully feathered. Hope it all works out for you!!

Great, thanks for the input. I haven't decided whether I'm going to raise them from chicks or get them when they're a little bigger. There's a really nice farm less than a mile from my house that raises them so I was considering getting some from there. It does get pretty humid in the summer but there are some spots with ample shade in my backyard.

Thanks for all the input: shade it is!!! Any suggestions on good breeds to start out with?

welcome-byc.gif
from California! I have an Easter Egger, a Welsummer, and a Blue Copper Marans that all lay like champs! I have had Rhode Island Reds in the past who also were good layers. I also vote to put the coop in the shade.

Back
Top Bottom