newbie in Calif

[email protected]

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 3, 2009
I just got my four little peeps yesterday at the farm supply store. I think they are americauna, laced red wyanotte, rock barred and I'm not sure about the fourth. They are just so cute. I bought a small coop and have it in the house. Chicks are in a plastic bin with food, water, and pine shavings. I've got a heat lamp. I'm holding each little baby every couple of hours... hoping they will be my friends! My plan is to let them free range during the day in my fenced yard. I've got lots of bugs for them to eat. The fence is 6' tall. Can I count on them not to fly over it?
Lesa, San Luis Obispo, CA

welcome-byc.gif

I love SLO.
love.gif
Anyway, the heavy breeds might have a hard time getting over a fence that big but I'd still clip one wing just to make sure. Clipping just one wing will almost guarantee they won't get over the fence.

welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. Hopefully they won't think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence and will be happy where they are. You will have to wait and see.
yippiechickie.gif

Yehhhhhhh! Someone from a nearby community!
frow.gif

There is a period of time from 2-4 months that even heavy breeds can fly, so be aware. You might consider something over the top of the run during this time.

Also, as you know, our area has lots of predators. A fenced yard will keep out some, but raccoons are able to scale just about anything. Make sure the hens are locked securely inside at night!

Have fun with your chicks. Mine too, came from Farm Supply and were all healthy and happy.
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom