Newbie in FL with wild birds and squirrel questions

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tinkymoe, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Tinkymoe

Tinkymoe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Hi

I have searched and read many posts regarding wild birds and how they can carry diseases and pests. I definitely want to give my new silkies a great home and minimize any potential problems from the start. I have been feeding wild birds and the squirrels in my backyard.

I know I need to move the bird feeders and the bird bath away from where the coop will be (elevated coop with run). How far away is far enough? (I have a small backyard)

I am going to keep the coop in the shade in the middle of the yard and was going to move the bird feeders to the back corner flower bed. I do plan to let the silkies out when I am in the back so I thought I could put a small landscaping fence in front of the flower bed (or low stone wall) to keep the chickens away from the feeders and birdbath. Would that be sufficient? It would probably be 40 feet away from the coop. (guesstimate).

Can I keep feeding the squirrels? I haven't found much that says they would cause any problems. I find they cause less problems with easy access to thier own food.

I look forward to hearing your comments!!!

Thanks!

Tinkymoe

Last edited: Sep 11, 2011
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    As far as I know, the only problem squirrels cause is eating chicken feed, and perhaps an egg, but I would not be surprised to find I am uninformed about this. As for wild birds, at a minimum, they are they usual source of lice and mites, which can be a real problem (even lethal) for chickens. To top that off, Silkies apparently have a lot more problems with lice/mites than other chicken breeds. Personally, I would give the bird feeders away, and not to my next door neighbor.

3. Tinkymoe

Tinkymoe Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2011
    Thanks Judy! I was thinking that may be the case but was hoping differently....

4. florida lee

florida lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    Morriston,fl
    Agree with Flockwatcher, and in addition squirrels have been know to eat small birds. I would not put it past one to munch down on a chick if it got the chance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by