Newbie in Grass Lake Michigan

Janine26

Chirping
Apr 21, 2015
Grass Lake MI
Hello! I just started my new journey into raising chickens!! I love fresh eggs and wanted to raise my own chickens for yummy eggs! I have 10 chicks ~ 3 golden laced Wyandots, 3 silver laced Wyandots, 2 Buff Opingtons, and 2 Americanas. They are 2 weeks old and are growing like crazy!! My question is what can I give them to snack on besides just their feed? Can they have grass? Worms? Lettuce? Just wondering what everybody else feeds their babies!

You've got great breeds there. Wyandottes, Orpingtons, and Ameraucanas are fantastic! To answer you question, they can have greens at three weeks of age, just add chick grit to their starter feed a few days before. I usually wait until they're older to feed worms. Just remember, chickens and treats are like children and candy, limit what they get, and make sure it's healthy! Mine love lettuce and other veggie scraps, particularly tomatoes!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined the flock!

welcome-byc.gif

Glad you joined us!

You can check out my chick raising journal, I wrote a small section on treats a few days back: Journal of: Raising baby chicks naturally

Back
Top Bottom