Newbie in Iowa

eyeonsparrows

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 19, 2015
Hi. Newbie here. I live in DeWitt, IA, and have wanted to have a few chickens (2-3 or 4 hens) for a handful of years now, but figuring out whether or not such is lawful here in town has been bit a bit trying, as anyone I ask if there's ordinances on the issue (like the receptionist at City Hall when I asked if there someone I could talk to to figure out if there were ordinances about keeping an afore described coop in town) says something to the effect of, "Oh, no, I don't think that's allowed." Well, I wasn't asking what they thought, I was asking what the ordinances were, but I'm really shy and asking in the first place and that much takes some gathered assertiveness, so I feel nervous about trying to re-explain my question after getting shut down, and.end up just politely walking away and wondering whom else I might ask.. I know, I know, I need to work on guts and strategy, so I guess that's how I ended up here: I'm looking to research and ask around about wise ways to navigate figuring this out, and largely just getting some data sifted through to figure out the best-practice way to get the ball rolling on setup and aquistiion if systems are a go.

I did find one ordinance online, but that only kinda led to more questions. It says "55.05 LIVESTOCK. It is unlawful fora person to keep livestock within the City except by written consent of the City Health Officer or except in compliance with the City's zoning regulations. Buildings, yards and enclosures for cattle, goats, swine or domestic fowl must at all times be kept clean and free from filth and stagnant water. All such permits expire annually and may be withdrawn for cause by the City
Board of Health at any time, " So, what do the mentioned City's zoning regulations say on the matter? I can't find them anywhere. How likely is it that I can aquire a permit, or will I just be shut down with more swift, ", Oh, I don't think that's allowed"s? If I want to figure this out, I know I need to just grow a pair aced start hounding for more precise data, I'm just not very brave about hounding. So, like I said, I suppose I'm here to research and brainstorm angles with people with more wisdom and experience than I. Thanks for listening, and any little gems of advice that anyone may have.

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I hope with the links that NorthFLChick has left for you, you are able to find some definitive a swears and are able to keep some chickens. Wishing you the very best of luck.
Hope you enjoy BYC I am sure you will, everyone here to help and very friendly :frow

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you have joined us.

I found an article in Dewitt News from 2013 that may help, here's the link:

http://www.dewittdailynews.com/news/details.cfm?id=84902

Evidently the mayor was in favor of allowing backyard chickens for eggs. If he is still in office, I would suggest you try to talk with the mayor. News story reports he was in favor of chickens, and only one vote opposed it. And there was a large amount of support from the local residents. Maybe the ordinance did pass, and you can get your own flock soon.

Back
Top Bottom