Newbie in Massachusetts here!

Mar 22, 2018
West Newbury, MA
Hi All,

This site has been a wealth of information as I have been googling and setting up my brooder, questioning everything my chicks do and for general "is this normal" questions. I'm about 2 weeks into raising chicks and decided to join. Thank you all for the wonderful information, anecdotes and help with this journey!

EDIT:
We are currently raising 8 pullets(fingers crossed) from tractor supply- 3 Barred Rock and 5 Buff Orpinton (we think- the girl wasn't 100% sure on the buff colored chicks. Internet sleuthing led me to land on Orpingtons) and 4 unsexed silkies- a white and a black showgirl, a splash and a pure white.

The chicks are living in our spare bedroom right now in a home made brooder with pine litter (come on spring, get here!).

Currently looking at coop design to build a coop/run, but realistically might have to purchase because time is precious and it is too cold and wet to build outside right now. Any suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
G’Day from down under BackItUp.PlayItSlow :frow Welcome and Congratulations! :clap

This is a really good article: How Much Room Do Chickens Need

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. There are some good ones for those just starting out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom