Newbie in MD

kipenei

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Hi All,
Family is thinking about raising some chickens for eggs. We live in the country, at least what you could call country 30 miles from Baltimore. Let's say it is relative.
Anyway, we have two acres and local zoning does not put any restrictions on our endavour.
Concerned about our neighbors. One couple, is kind of uptight, and should really be living in a gated community with bylaws at thick as the phonebook. But here they are complaining about dogs barking, and gunshots. Tested the water with them and it was as predicted.
The other neighbors hunt deer and bird.

So my question is: will I have any chance of keeping the chickens relatively close to the coop and should I prepare myself with fencing so they won't go of property.
Is there any chance of letting them roam around during the day (close to the coop) and have them in at night?
What is the normal roaming range for chickens? Is it breed specific?

Do chickens roam through the woods if they get a chance or do they stay out in the open?

Thank in advance.

welcome-byc.gif

I am not sure but you came to the right place.

Welcome

welcome-byc.gif

You'll need to fence them. Not sure of the normal roaming range but mine tend to keep going as long as cover isn't too far off. My hens don't venture but maybe 5 feet into the woods, and the woodsline is only 50 feet from their coop.

Back
Top Bottom