Newbie in Michigan

Sally PB

Addict
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Hello!

I am 4+ months into having chickens. I have three black australrop pullets and one buff orpington cockerel. They came from TSC on March 24th as three day old chicks. They spent time in a brooder in the living room, then the mudroom, and now in the coop/run down by the garden. I give them garden treats, bits of bread, weeds, and Japanese beetles. Well, and their plain ol' chicken feed too.

My first egg was last Sunday, August 2.:woot 17 grams, so cute and tiny. I blew it out and will keep the shell as a memento.:love Two days later, a second pullet started laying! So now I am waiting for #3 to join in the fun. I hope I have bought my last dozen eggs from the store.

I kept saying, "When I retire, I'm going to have chickens." March 23rd, everyone where I worked was sent home for the Stay at Home Order due to Covid-19. The next day, my husband said, "I think you should get chickens." I got chickens, never got called back to work, and am now retired. It all works out, sometimes.

Whenever I had a chicken question, google always returned a BYC link in the list of search replies. I have learned more on this site than anywhere else. I have a lot more to learn, and am looking forward to stopping by here often.

All the best,
Sally

Howdy! :frow
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Back
Top Bottom