Newbie in Montana

Hello, I’m located in Montana and researching raising chickens. I plan to start my flock in the spring of 2024 and am making use of my time now gathering materials and planning.

My main motivation for raising chickens is for better food security/self reliance and knowing where my food comes from. We also have kiddos allergic to cats and dogs so an outdoor animal seems to be the way to go for us since they’ve passed exposure tests to other chickens so far.

I am more of a crunchy/attachment parenting sort of person, and I’m kinda bummed I can’t free range my chickens due to regulations, and I’m also undecided on how to obtain my chickens because I want my chickens not to have been separated too soon from their mama. Haha! Im already protective and I don’t even own them.

I’m very much a planner and like gathering info which brings me here, but I am also very adaptable in the moment and think I’ll do just fine “listening” to my chickens and responding appropriately.

Any advice is welcome!
Because you are protective, you wouldn’t want to free range your chickens anyway. Free ranging comes with knowing you may have some losses. You can however provide a lot of secure space for them to feel like they are free ranging. As far as finding chickens, look for local farms that breed so you can get the chicks quickly.

Hello, I’m located in Montana and researching raising chickens. I plan to start my flock in the spring of 2024 and am making use of my time now gathering materials and planning.

My main motivation for raising chickens is for better food security/self reliance and knowing where my food comes from. We also have kiddos allergic to cats and dogs so an outdoor animal seems to be the way to go for us since they’ve passed exposure tests to other chickens so far.

I am more of a crunchy/attachment parenting sort of person, and I’m kinda bummed I can’t free range my chickens due to regulations, and I’m also undecided on how to obtain my chickens because I want my chickens not to have been separated too soon from their mama. Haha! Im already protective and I don’t even own them.

I’m very much a planner and like gathering info which brings me here, but I am also very adaptable in the moment and think I’ll do just fine “listening” to my chickens and responding appropriately.

Any advice is welcome!
Welcome to BYC!!

Any advice is welcome!
:frow Welcome from Montana

Hello and welcome to BYC! As far as specific advice, @JacinLarkwell , who has already welcomed you here, also lives in Montana, has extensive experience keeping chickens during brutal Montana winters, and may be very helpful in advising you re potential issues specific to your state. Good luck and have fun with your future flock!

Back
Top Bottom