Newbie in New York

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by little_newt, Jul 15, 2008.

1. little_newt

little_newt New Egg

Jul 15, 2008
    I have been given the oppurtunity to keep a chicken at my friends house! Im so very excited. Im just looking to get one for now, and would like to purchase it locally. Im in Kingston, NY but travel all over dutchess and ulster county. I would be willing to pick it up. If anyone out there has chickens for sale, or knows of anyone in the area, please let me know! Thank you so very much!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    One chicken can get very lonely, two would be better...chickens are social creatures....

3. peepkeeper

peepkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2007
    upstate New York
    I agree. Chickens need a flock, at least two. If there are no other chickens, it will pick you to be it's flock, and brother, that's a headache you don't need. Your local feed store probably has chicks, or can get some for you.

4. DarkUnicorn

DarkUnicorn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Walden, NY
    I may be able to help. Just found this small but awesome breeder.

There's a great breeder right in Gardiner off Albany Post Road. He's hatching chicks for the Dark Brahma. NYS law though is 6 min. He has Japanese Bantams right now. Not sure if they are still at NYS Min.

Show quality parent stock. Beautiful birds. NPIP Cert.

He has ducks and geese as well.

He does rotate which breed is breeding. Keeps them pure.

http://cripplecreekfarm.weebly.com/

5. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    You're pretty close to the Catskill Animal Sanctuary. Just don't tell them you might eat eggs (seriously) and clearly state you only want hens.
    I'm across the river from you. The Hackett Agway in Salt Point may have some more chicks this summer.
    Do you know which breeds, if any, you are leaning towards?

6. Ellie_NY_chick

Ellie_NY_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Finger Lakes, NY
    [​IMG] That breeder has beautiful birds but his prices are a little steep, aren't they?

7. SandraMort

SandraMort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    I'm looking at a house in Saugerties and hope to move next month!

8. Mom2Cool

Mom2Cool Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I just saw an ad on craigs list with young chickens for sale in Salem NY. Don't know how young you want them but according to the ad these chickens should start laying in about 3 weeks. I always like to go and give my business to the small guy too. I could find the link for you if you like & I'll send it to you in a PM.

9. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    Yes, that would be great. I had seen one ad for RIR, but several people warned me not to get that breed. What did you see?

Quote:

10. SandraMort

Jul 7, 2008
    ny
    My apologies, I replied to the wrong post!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by