Newbie in NorCO

nursemedic97

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 14, 2013
Hey, I'm Mike, I live in Fort Lupton, CO. My wife grew up on a hobby farm with a various allotment of animals, but chickens were (and still are) the one constant. Both of my kids love Papa's (grandpa's) chickens, so when the voters passed a new ordinance allowing chickens within city limits, my wife thought we should get a couple layers. She's interested in the fresh eggs and teaching the kids to raise something that requires a bit more work than our cats and dogs; I'm interested in the ability to feed kitchen scraps and get chicken poop for compost. And the fresh eggs. And getting to build a coop and enclosure.

This will be my first foray into livestock, but my wife is fairly well versed in chickens, and her dad (Papa) lives about 10 minutes away and maintains a rather large flock, so we have resources. The few times I've lurked around on here, courtesy of Google, I've been pretty impressed, so I'm glad to have this site as a resource as well.

A little about me and my family, I'm a full-time ICU nurse, my wife is a full-time stay at home mom, my daughter is a full-time kindergartener, and my son is full-time noise covered in dirt (19 months old). We have 2 cats and 2 dogs, 4 fish and 2 snails. My other hobbies include homebrewing, music (guitar, bass, and saxophone), model railroading, and s-l-o-w-l-y restoring my 1965 Mercury Comet; my wife's hobbies include photography and gardening. My daughter is a budding science geek (she's going to LOVE trapping grasshoppers for the chickens) and my son is... noise covered in dirt (I believe I've mentioned that already).

Thanks in advance for all of the advice, expertise, and support!

Mike in Fort Lupton, CO

Hi Mike, welcome to the flock. I've been a patient in ICU a few times, and for the most part the nurses have been fantastic. I can appreciate what you go through on a daily basis.

, There was one nurse though back in the 80's who thought she was in a soap opera. Or maybe just ditzy. I asked her not to open the curtains ( couldn't take the bright light), so she threw them back wide open. She'd dump a bedpan on the bed but, nothing to go with it. She put the nurse's call button way out of reach (I wasn't ambulatory). And....she'd practically swoon whenever a doctor walked in. Ah yes memories to savor and I do because, now she would be an old frump!!

The Learning Center should get you off to a good start. Lots of coops in that section and it's good to read up on predators and what to do about them. You may want to go to "where am I, where are you," in the social forum to locate and post on your state thread. Great way to meet neighbors and find out how others handle your climate, etc.

Welcome to BYC!

The good news is that if you can manage a model train habit, you should be able to keep a chicken hobby from becoming an addiction. I hope you saved the boxes for some of your more prized trains and have a "children's train layout" under construction. Thanks for joining.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom