Newbie in Parkville, Mo... with some questions?

Babeebloos

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Hi... I'm in Parkville, MO which is in the county north of Kansas City, MO near the airport. My house is on 2 acres, on a cul-de-sac, backing up to some dense woods where many deer live.
A few years ago there was a family of Fox living down there in the back. I don't have any chickens yet, that's why I've been researching everything out... it's great because even tho I love the
Guineas, reality is... I live in an upscale neighborhood and don't want to be THAT visible. My neighbors think it's great that I have a few chickens and I'm sure that if occassionally one or two just
happened to visit them it would be fine and a curiosity for their kids.
My question is: How 'far' do chickens feel comfortable to free roam? Do they pretty much stay in a certain range of the coop? Would they cross over my neighbors and go across the street to the
next neighborhood? (Why did the chicken cross the road? hee hee!) There are NO fences in our neighborhood, not allowed, however I was thinking of the chicken tractor and letting them range for a little
while during the day if they don't wander off 1/4 mile!
wee.gif

Another question I've been wondering about... I've noticed that most of the laying boxes are sticking outside of the main coop... do the eggs not freeze in the winter if left in there for an hour or two?
idunno.gif

Just wondering....!
Anyway, I'm glad that there is a forum to ask my questions... if I have to, I would just keep them in the tractor and move it around daily out back and no one would ever know.
So far I'm in the wishing and hoping stages...
big_smile.png
pop.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from So Cal. I let my girls free range 2 hrs before dusk. They then find there way back to spend the night in the coop. Good luck, and I'm glad you found us. Make the search button your friend!

Welcome.
frow.gif

Yes, chickens can roam quite a distance. Your chickens might visit your neighbors regularly if you let them range unsupervised. They might eat or scratch out your neighbor's garden or flower beds. I'd doubt they'd remain a 'curiosity' for long. As to eggs, yes, if left too long outside in the winter, they can and do freeze - (depends on HOW cold it is?). Generally though, if you collect them regularly, it isn't a problem. If you 'had' a family of fox previously, it's very probable you'd get more in the future, so build something secure.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom