Newbie in SW Oregon

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by detroit_expat, Apr 16, 2011.

1. detroit_expat

detroit_expat Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2011
    Hello,

I have occasionally thought about raising chickens since living in rural Indiana decades ago. I have kept bees in my Detroit neighborhood, but did not make the jump to chickens.

Wife and I recently relocated to Oregon, our rental house has a disused chicken coop in back, so I got six RI Reds from the Co-op this week! The chicken math is already working, because one of the girls passed to her reward on day two, and today I plan to replace her with three Barred Rocks.

I have been on other forums before, but I am amazed at the size of the user base that this forum has!

George

2. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep! BYC is the place to learn everything about Backyard Chicken keeping! Glad ya joined and welcome from Louisiana [​IMG]

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

4. white01

white01 Brady Brook Poultry

May 11, 2010
    West Enfield,Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Maine
    I love chicken math, only wanted 15 now look what i am up to in a year 34 [​IMG]

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

6. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from PA.

I know how that chicken math works. I too started out with bees ~ 1 hive ~ we now have 11 and are adding more! I then went to chickens ~ started with 6 ~ now have 21 adults ~ 12 1 month olds and 2 brooders full of 1 day olds and more still in the incubators! [​IMG] As I am moving babies fromt he incubators to the brooders I was thinking about what I will put in to hatch next ~ don't tell my DH [​IMG]

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] from California! (I had some formative years growing up in Coastal Oregon, love love loved it.)

Wow, a rental with a coop to refurbish and fill! How lucky is THAT!

Once you have enough posts to be able to share photos with us, PLEASE do so! We LOVE pictures of coops, chickens, family, kids, landscape, companion animals, etc. [​IMG]

8. Cacciatore

Cacciatore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2011
    San Pablo, CA
    Welcome from Northern California. [​IMG]

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Hesperia,Ca [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. klen

klen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    PacNW
    hey welcome! Another Oregonian! Love your name too! It's my son's middle name, named after my dad and his Grandpa [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by