Newbie in trouble- please advise!

mercy3

In the Brooder
May 24, 2016
We acquired 7 various chicks this spring for our kids to raise in our fenced-in backyard (neighborhood restrictions). All is going great. We have some issues with our front yard and hired a company to treat, fertilize, and flea/tick spray the front yard only- they were not to enter our private gated area. Well, we came home tonight to find out that they did indeed treat our entire property including the whole acre fenced area. What do we do now? I can't see putting the chickens out in our tractor anytime soon now that the ground is poisoned. How long do we wait? Do we put the tractor on some sort of false ground- i.e. Tarp, bedding, etc? I can't see giving them away as our kids will be devastated. Any advice? Thanks

Welcome! I would call and ask the company exactly what they sprayed and how long it is effective, when it breaks down. And do your own research to ensure honesty.
You do not have to get rid of your birds, you just might need to do a but of work. A run would be useful even if this had not happened. You can dig out the top layer and so protect your hens (you would not have grass there long anyway). Keep your birds in the run until you know the yard is safe.
Good luck!

Not only didn't they follow your instruction but, I bet they charged you much more, for the additional area. I think you should contact them and speak to the person at the top of the food chain. Tell them how this puts your birds in jeopardy and that they treated a much larger area than you intended to pay for. You might mention you will have to post negative comments in reviewing their service.

Thanks so much. We tried to reach the company tonight, but it was too late. You can be sure I'll be on the phone first thing in the am to cancel our contract and demand our money back. Digging out the grass is a good idea. Would you also put a 'flooring' on the run of pine chips or gravel or something? Our coop /run was designed to be a tractor so we didn't plan for space to actually get in and rake out the run.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
CT

What you put down depends on your area and how wet/soggy you can get. A dirt floor is great, the birds love playing in the dirt, but they really do not like mud.
You might look up the deep litter method.

Welcome to BYC
frow.gif
You got some excellent advice from the above posters. When you know what the company used to treat the soil, let us know and we'll see if there is any info here on how harmful it can be for the flock and for how long. In the meantime, if you can get something for them, topsoil, grass clippings or leaves, anything they can scratch in, it will be great. Keep us posted!

Thanks so much, everyone. I will post the chemical names once I have a full list. As far as I know it's two herbicides, a fertilizer, and a flea and tick application. I called the company and am awaiting a call back from a service manager. I've come up with a few ideas on how to handle the flooring, but now we are also wondering if the eggs will be safe to eat come late summer / early fall. My husband is a cancer survivor and so we are carful about what we eat. Our fruit trees won't be bearing fruit this year and probably not next so we are safe there and our raised beds are protected by another fence and graveled area, so there was nothing to spray there. What a disappointment to have this happen- especially if we can't eat the eggs this year!!

Back
Top Bottom