Newbie in Wichita, Kansas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by FondofChicks, Oct 2, 2010.

1. FondofChicks

FondofChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Wichita
    Greetings from central Kansas. I have kept all sorts of animals (dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hamsters, fish, mice, snakes, pony and a raccoon). I was laid up earlier this year with back surgery and felt rather "cooped up". When I recovered I felt like getting outside and building something... so I built a chicken coop. (A-frame tractor) It turned out great. Got a lot of interest from my neighbors as they stopped by to see what I was building in my garage. Having a coop I obviously needed chickens. I travel around Kansas quite a bit and found K-State was selling hybrid white leghorn pullets. So I bought 3 (meets city regulations and subdivision covenants) and brought them home. Got my first egg on the trip home. The girls were interesting and I got 3 eggs 5-6 days a week. But leghorns just want to be chickens and they started getting very proud of their morning egg laying and got louder and louder. Wanting more of a quiet, pet chicken (and ones I could tell apart) I sold the leghorns and bought 3 americanas (7 weeks old). I think one was younger as she did not have neck feathers. It was interesting seeing them grow. They are now about 12 weeks old. I have been doing a lot of reading on chickens. Summer has been pretty easy but I see challenges keeping the chickens. I'm thinking of building a different coop and moving then under my deck. That would be easier on me too! So that is my chicken story to date. Looking forward to meeting like interests folks here and learning a lot from all the posts.

2. OregonChickenGal

OregonChickenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Central Oregon
    Greetings from Oregon! You've come to the right place. You'll learn tons of info on this site. Enjoy!

3. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
  4. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    Welcome....my sister lives in Wichita and I have been there a couple of times.

You will gets lots and lots of info here that is for sure.

Enjoy

5. FondofChicks

FondofChicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Wichita
    Thanks! I'll check out that Kansas thread.

6. vogelzang

vogelzang Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    TX
    [​IMG] from TX

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from Ohio.

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    From Western Washington State.

9. msjfrizzle

msjfrizzle Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2011
    Wichita, Kansas
    Hello from Wichita! I'm a newbie, too. There must be more chickens in Wichita than I imagined!

10. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from another Wichitan. You mention HOA ordinances so you might still be limited to 3, but the City of Wichita now allows 5 without a permit and up to 12 with a permit ($25 annually) so you better be careful - Chicken Math might take you over anyway. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by