Newbie incubator/hatcher questions

Pics

morganalefae

Head nut at the nut house
6 Years
May 2, 2017
Leicestershire UK
I have had chickens for almost a month and love them to bits so I have been pestering my hubby to let me get a incubator, hatching eggs and the lot for the last 2 weeks. Bought a brinsea mini eco incubator,candler,feeder n drinker, a titian electric hen thing and food. so I know I'm going to have to turn the eggs by hand at least 3 times a day but I'm worried about the temp and humidity and how I can measure it. Also has anyone bought hatching eggs off eBay? Wondering as that is basically what we did to get Brahma hatching eggs as most places don't seem to offer brahma's or hatching eggs. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also was told to never feed eggs wither raw or cooked to any chicken as it would/could turn them into egg eaters is that right or won't?

:welcome About the egg question....No worries, many feed eggs and the shells to chickens with no problems. I cook first just because its less messy for me. I break up into small pieces for treats. They love them so much they will jump pretty high for them.

I'm sure some of the incubating/hatching experts will be by to answer your other questions soon:D.

Thanks I was always told eggs being fed to chickens was a no no even by my great-grandma and she had chickens. I have been belittled for saying what I was always told one person went so far too say my great grandma was a senile old (I'm going to say bat but it was meaner name) and did not know what she was talking about and she must be lying bout keeping chickens. But since it seems you and others can do it with it issue think I'm going to be trying out using their egg shells.

I have a feeling your Grandma knew many important things we have now forgotten. The belief that feeding eggs causes egg eating is widely held and no reason to belittle anyone, much less your Grandmother! Best of Luck to You!

I have had chickens for almost a month and love them to bits so I have been pestering my hubby to let me get a incubator, hatching eggs and the lot for the last 2 weeks. Bought a brinsea mini eco incubator,candler,feeder n drinker, a titian electric hen thing and food. so I know I'm going to have to turn the eggs by hand at least 3 times a day but I'm worried about the temp and humidity and how I can measure it. Also has anyone bought hatching eggs off eBay? Wondering as that is basically what we did to get Brahma hatching eggs as most places don't seem to offer brahma's or hatching eggs. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also was told to never feed eggs wither raw or cooked to any chicken as it would/could turn them into egg eaters is that right or won't?
A small thermometer and hygrometer in the incubator for temp/humidity measurement. I know, the minis are quite small. Shipped eggs are a risk no matter where they come from. Read the sellers feedback carefully to see what others' experiences are. And as for eggs, feeding cooked eggs back to chickens do not cause egg eating. A chicken doesn't relate a cooked egg to a raw egg. My flock loves boiled eggs! They are good for them too.

See Morgana, I told you they would be here. :D What I appreciate most about BYC is that true experts like amylynn2374 and many others are always willing to share what they know!

Thanks for the heads up on the thermometer and hydrometer amylynn2374 will have to get them just hope it will fit in the brinsea mini lol. Seller seems good gives a full fertility guaranteed on them. I hope i get at least 2 to hatch when I do get and set them. Ya you were right biophiliac

Think I'll shoot her a email. But all of her feed back is good for packaging and hatch rate. But disappointed that I had to turn to eBay to start with but if no one has any Brahma hatching eggs from listings in chicken magazines and farm/smallholder mags then it's worth a bit of a shot specially if they have 100% feed back and a fertility guarantee but that's me.

Ok seller said each egg is wrapped in tissue paper then placed in a foam box made for shipping eggs. The egg box is then wrapped in bubble wrap and placed in another box for shipping. Now I'm curious how long can fertile eggs be stored before being incubated.

Back
Top Bottom