Newbie Intro

Jivenmama

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2021
Greetings All!
I've wanted to raise chickens as long as I can remember. No one ever told me my Goldie didn't. So a few years ago the inevitable happened when I put up what I thought was a safe pen. Nope. But! This time around I am much wiser and put up a 10x20 ft totally enclosed, well-built pen around a well-built coop. I know they are not completely free-range, but they are safe. That sweet goldie passed a while ago, but I still have another and a terrier, and hawks circling the skies constantly. Whew, they are set. The six Marans came last April, a day after they were hatched. One was a bit frail, and I took extra care with it. They all grew well and were happily working their way to mature when I noticed the feeble one wasn't growing a wattle or comb like the others. The other five had bright red adornments by this time, so worried about iron deficiency, I took it to the vet. My wonder came when I learned its pronouns would be they/them; it was neither a hen nor a rooster. Interesting. No worries there, I didn't need that many eggs. But, one day I noticed that beneath its wild eyes, there lurked a teaser. It began pecking at the other hens until they went bananas! I'm talking go for the throat maniacs to kill it! So, separation, isolation, gave it away. Now I have five healthy, laying Marans and everyone seems happy. They would love to explore the yard, and maybe someday.
Happy to be part of this forum,
Karen Screenshot_20210923-122140_Gallery.jpg

Back
Top Bottom