Newbie, just ordered incubator!

Munkeesmama

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2010
California
I'm new around here. Today's my anniversary and hubby let me order a R-com King Suro incubator for our anniversary. Of course, it was a "really good deal". I'm so eggcited, we're aiming for an easter hatching. Now to figure out what kind of eggs to get. I'd like some Ameracaunas, but want true ones, not easter eggers, or possibly some delwares. Hoping for a docile, non-flighty, and quieter breed of bird.

Quote:
welcome-byc.gif

Today's my anniversary and hubby let me order a R-com King Suro incubator for our anniversary.

Happy anniversary! Congrats on the new 'bator!
Hoping for a docile, non-flighty, and quieter breed of bird.

That sounds like a description of salmon faverolles. They're one of my favorite breeds. They just seem laid-back.
Good luck with your first hatch!​

Quote:
That is nearly any of the larger breeds: Rocks, Orps and so on. You can hardly go wrong with these.

So called "Ameracaunas" are generally found to be mongrels and not pure, in other words, the EE's you don't want. Make sure you are getting the real deal Ameracauna, full tails, ear muffs, beard and all. They are rare and so deserve scrutiny.
That said, these are closer to medium weight birds and are likely to be frenetic, if less than nervy-flighty. Take note.

"Quieter" is an interesting requirement, though. This is highly subjective. Chickens make noises - they have at least 30 vocalizations we're aware of, more than cats and dogs combined. In other words they have a voice, and they use them.
Everything from egg calls to hen crowing will come out of those beaky mouths I used to have some BO hens that rivaled shrieking ban-shees with their hen crowing.
About all I can say is keep and open mind and prepare yourself.

And stay away from Leghorns and their ilk altogether.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new Suro! I just set up mine for my first hatch-- eggs are going in tomorrow.

The Suro seems to be a great machine, but as you may have heard, the directions that come with it aren't the greatest. I got a lot of help here with it, and you will too, if you need it!

welcome-byc.gif

Welcome to BYC!
Before long you will be just as addicted to it as the rest of us are...when i started to hatch eggs...I started coming here....everyone on here is awesome...they will help with any question you may have!

yippiechickie.gif

I vote for the Delawares! They are sweeties... and lovable..and you won't be able to get enough of them.

I've got 17 of them in my Suro 20 now. Along with one BBS Orp (others were clear) and some Barred Rocks.

My Delaware Rooster is quiet when compared with my Silver Phoenix Roosters, but Cochins were much quieter. Hens are always making vocalizations. Nothing that can be heard 20 feet away, but definitely chatter. Some roosters crow more than others. Certain breeds just like to let you know they are there.

My Dellie crows when he sees me, or when he notices his girls are too scattered for his liking, as we free range etc. The Silver Phoenixes crowed about ever 4 or 5 minutes all day long, just because they could. The Cochins, I think a hawk would have to be diving for a Cochin rooster to crow, or another Rooster trying to mate one of his girls.

This is just my experience with these three breeds, because they are the only ones I've had full grown roosters in.

Laney

welcome-byc.gif
And I say keep going with your intentions! Ameraucanas (the real ones) are great! Very docile and friendly, and the eggs. . . Ahhh the eggs.
love.gif

Not sure on Delawares as I've never had experience with them, but I hear they're great.

Another good breed are the Salmon Faverolles - Very calm, veerry adorable and beautiful, and lay a nice pink-tinted egg.

Back
Top Bottom