Newbie loIoking for help! Sick Chicky

AshBashMom

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 14, 2015
Michigan
Hello! I'm new here, and new to raising chickens. I live in Michigan.

Everything has been going quite well the past two months since taking in these 8 beautiful girls. Until this morning. I went out to great my girls this morning and found one of my girls is lethargic, weak, labored breathing, and not acting right! She is eating. Her color is slightly pale, but, pink. I've felt her all over and she feels warm and good, even looks good other than acting off. There is no sinus drainage, no wheezing, not pasty butt, no lumpy gut, no lumpy neck. Giving pro-biotic and electrolyte water treatments. Not sure what to do next. I can bring her to the garage in a hutch to quarantine. Not sure if that is enough, or should she come inside? Don't want to shock her with the vast temperature change (it's winter here).
Any guidance would be appreciated. I've been reading blogs all morning.

So worried I wanna cry!
sad.png

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I am so sorry about your baby.
hugs.gif
Have you checked her for egg binding? Put on a latex glove with some KY-Jelly or Vaseline on the index finger and insert it into her vent straight back. If she has a stuck egg, you will feel it within the first inch or so. If she is egg bound, check out this article on how to treat your hen with egg binding. It will help you get her to move that egg....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention

Have you wormed your flock recently? Is she really thin? You might want to post this in our emergency section for more input on this. Click here for starting a new thread there....https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

Good luck and I hope you can get her back to good health soon!!
hugs.gif

Thank you, Two Crows! I 've felt her entire body for signs of anything and everything, but, I have yet to violate her. Gonna go buy some gloves now! She is looking a little better. She's drinking too! Running to tractor Supply now for more care items.

Thank you for all the help! I'll follow your advise and keep you posted!

bow.gif

-Laura

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

I'm sorry about your sick hen! Hopefully, the Emergencies people can help you determine what is wrong with her.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom