Newbie mallard duckling mom-Need guidance!

Hey I just wanted to tell you that I admire you being willing to take on orphaned ducklings. I have raised chicks before and they are a lot of work. I would think ducklings would be even more. I also appreciate you trying everything that you could to hatch the eggs "legally". I 100 percent agree with you: there is no point of them being left to die or being a possums dinner. I really dont have any advice but I just wanted to let you know that because other people seem to think you need dragged off to jail. Good luck!!!
Thanks, I appreciate that. I feel like I should open my own sanctuary soon. All the animals in my care are rescues (a Russian tortoise, 3 red-earred sliders [2 of which are getting BIG], one Maine Coon [also gigantic], one Koi, & a whole mishmosh of other goldfish in 4 tanks alone!), which have been taken in from friends & family to random strangers. I'd say, unless it's an adoption, I don't really agree w/buying an animal to keep solely for the purposes of being a pet. Boy o'boy, and now the ducks! And I thought I had my hands full before? Thanks for the luck, cuz I'll need some!

Last edited:
Yes we forgot to mention the fee for advice on here is pictures, especially ducklings
Okay, but I just have to tidy up "the house" first. Lol, it's already a mess. In the meantime, here are a couple of them when just born in the incubator...

Attachments

• A5D8880C-376D-4176-84F9-3426DCC9BAC8.png
    A5D8880C-376D-4176-84F9-3426DCC9BAC8.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
  • 59568E3C-20E4-4E7B-A62D-50EE345E635C.png
    59568E3C-20E4-4E7B-A62D-50EE345E635C.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 5
Thanks, I appreciate that. I feel like I should open my own sanctuary soon. All the animals in my care are rescues (a Russian tortoise, 3 red-earred sliders [2 of which are getting BIG], one Maine Coon [also gigantic], one Koi, & a whole mishmosh of other goldfisb-day 4 tanks alone!), which have been taken in from friends & family to random strangers. I'd say, unless it's an adoption, I don't really agree w/buying an animal to keep solely for the purposes of being a pet. Boy o'boy, and now the ducks! And I thought I had my hands full before? Thanks for the luck, cuz I'll need some!
Wow, that's amazing! I've always loved animals and would like to have an animal rescue. During hurricane Irma we rescued 2 newborn squirrels. We were going on a walk the morning after and there was a huge pile of leaves and branches. I heard some squeaks that sounded distressed, a bit like a baby bird actually, so my dad dug trough the leaves to find a squirrel nest of all things! So, we took it home. Of course, since this was the morning after Irma, there was no power or wifi. My mom called my aunt who googled how to care for it. We warmed up some sugar water with a candle and fed them with a syringe. We look up how to be sure they weren't dehydrated, and kept them warm. We tried calling numerous rescues but few were open and could care for the two. Eventually, after about 4 days, one place recommended a local wildlife rehabber and a day later we took them there. I was sad to see them go but I new they were in good hands and with the situation we wouldn't be able to give them the proper care they needed. The lady we took them to specializes in raccoons, and she had two babies when we took them there. They were so cute! She also had peacocks, lots of other squirrels, and some songbirds. She told us that the squirrels were male, and we ended up naming them Thunder and Lightning.

Sorry to jump on, but I totally think you’re an absolute saint for taking in those ducklings! It’s hard enough hatching eggs when you know you’ll be getting some cute new family at the end, but it’s quite another to do it simply because it’s the right thing to do! Keep being amazing!!
That’s very sweet to say. Thank you! What’s more amazing’s that they even survived those 2 nights in low temps w/wind & heavy rain, plus beat the odds surviving the attack. Out of the original 7, only 4 remained. One of which was punctured, assuming by a tooth. I tried saving it by sealing up the hole but it succumbed to infections. I sometimes wonder if I hadn’t waited so long to bring them in, maybe I could’ve saved it :(

Wow, that's amazing! I've always loved animals and would like to have an animal rescue. During hurricane Irma we rescued 2 newborn squirrels. We were going on a walk the morning after and there was a huge pile of leaves and branches. I heard some squeaks that sounded distressed, a bit like a baby bird actually, so my dad dug trough the leaves to find a squirrel nest of all things! So, we took it home. Of course, since this was the morning after Irma, there was no power or wifi. My mom called my aunt who googled how to care for it. We warmed up some sugar water with a candle and fed them with a syringe. We look up how to be sure they weren't dehydrated, and kept them warm. We tried calling numerous rescues but few were open and could care for the two. Eventually, after about 4 days, one place recommended a local wildlife rehabber and a day later we took them there. I was sad to see them go but I new they were in good hands and with the situation we wouldn't be able to give them the proper care they needed. The lady we took them to specializes in raccoons, and she had two babies when we took them there. They were so cute! She also had peacocks, lots of other squirrels, and some songbirds. She told us that the squirrels were male, and we ended up naming them Thunder and Lightning.
Aww, that’s touchingly cute 😊

Back
Top Bottom