Newbie... need info

makeitsnappy

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 11, 2014
HI,

I'm a newbie and I've had some trouble getting answers to these questions.... Can anyone answer them or let me know where I might find answers?

I live in Ontario, my city allows 'urban' chickens. I am considering it...

I have a 16 month old who is just starting to use the yard to play.... My concern is about mites/lice.... I have heard chickens do carry these pests, and although cleaning the coop frequently etc will help to manage them, they are basically par for the course....

Do they overrun your yard? Does this turn into an infestation? Is it unsafe for children to play in the yard?

The next question is about 'bedding' and removal. What do you use as 'litter or bedding' in the coop and how is it disposed of? Do you just clean it out and throw it in the garbage? We have a 1 bag limit per week so I'm wondering about better ways to remove it...

When you let them free range, do they poop all over the yard? Does it become an issue?

My biggest concern is whether this adventure, makes your backyard essentially unusable or like a barn yard...

I'm just trying to collect all the info I can before I make a decision. In a perfect world, I would buy a farm property but they are SO expensive here, I'm trying to bring country to the city lol...

any help/advice or readings would be so appreicated
Thanks

Hi there
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

Chickens don't all carry mice and lice. Wild birds do, chickens don't. If you start with mite free babies or birds, and keep it clean, you should never see a single mite.

As for bedding....Some people use the deep litter method and don't clean the bedding out but a few times a year. They just turn everything over and it grows healthy bacteria after a while which can actually keep the birds healthy. I use sand. Sand in the runs, coops and even nest boxes! You can dig it out of dry river beds, arroyo's and washes, sand and gravel companies carry it, you can even use play box sand. It stays dry even when wet, so no mud, it keeps the flys AWAY, no coop smells, it is soft on the foot pads, it is very easy to clean and most sand has tiny stones for the gizzards. You would want to dump in enough to be about 4 or 5 inches deep and you only scoop up the poop and leave the sand. I only add sand once a year and only the little that has been removed thru cleaning. Here is a great thread to read about sand...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/444759/got-sand-you-should

You don't have to let them free range if you don't want to. I can't let my girls out due to all the predators and can only supervise them when I do let them out. Chickens probably poop once an hour. So if you let them out for an hour or so day, you aren't going to see all that much and it will not smell like a barn yard.

You might want to do some reading in our learning center to get an idea as to what you are getting into. Chickens can be very rewarding and fun to keep. My girls are like giant babies that sit on my lap and refuse to get off. LOL They just love the attention and follow me around like drooling puppies.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Good luck in what ever you choose and enjoy all your adventures in life!

Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join us!
frow.gif

I wouldn't worry too much about lice and mites. They can occur, but as long as you keep their environment clean, you shouldn't really have to deal with them.

Chickens do poop quite often. But like TwoCrows said, you don't have to free range your flock if you don't want to, as long as their coop and run is large enough to accommodate your flock size.

Enjoy your birds. I love your idea of bringing the country to the city.
lol.png

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! One thing with a toddler, there are a lot of recommendations now that children under 5 or so really should not be or be very careful handling live poultry or coming in contact with their droppings, especially because of the salmonella etc risks http://www.cdc.gov/features/salmonellapoultry/

Children need to be supervised so that they wash their hands thoroughly before and after handling chicks/chickens. Also don't allow the child to kiss the birds. All of this is really no different than what you would do regarding dogs and cats, etc.

Back
Top Bottom