Newbie needing help quickly please!

I'm also new to chickens and read all of this with concern (for Holly and Helen) and interest (knowledge for me).

I have to say, Helen, I think you are doing a wonderful job! Hands on, literally, and diving into something scary and unknown. :hugs

I'm rooting for Holly too! Keep us posted on how both of you are doing.

That's a great straightforward article, thanks. Looking at the photos and looking at Holly (about time we called her by name) now, her vent itself when relaxed looks like a picture I've seen of a normal one, maybe slightly more swollen, but I don't think because of a prolapse...I don't think.

Will I be able to pick up a suitable antiseptic solution from a regular pharmacy do you know please? Sorry for the million questions!
Yes you can get a general antiseptic solution for washing a wound from any pharmacy or you can make some yourself with boiled water and a few drops of tea tree oil, put into a spray bottle. Even plain soapy water works to clean it.

If you want antiseptic ointment to put on the vent to keep it moist and fight bacteria, then people here recommend 'triple antibiotic cream'. We don't have that here in the UK, so i would just use a general antiseptic cream for cuts and scrapes, the type you put on your kids knee. Or an antiseptic nappy/daiper cream like sudocrem (works wonders but no idea if you can get that there).

Just avoid any cream or ointment containing lidocaine or any other 'caine' as that is toxic to birds.

You are so, so kind and your help is very much appreciated. I will stock up on what I can tomorrow and order anything I can't. I've really been caught unprepared.
All good reason to construct a chicken first aid box to keep in your cupboard.

Well done for tackling the vent examination! Go you!

I'm also new to chickens and read all of this with concern (for Holly and Helen) and interest (knowledge for me).

I have to say, Helen, I think you are doing a wonderful job! Hands on, literally, and diving into something scary and unknown. :hugs

I'm rooting for Holly too! Keep us posted on how both of you are doing.
Ha, thanks! I'm now sitting indoors at night worrying that Holly is going to have her eyes pecked out by rats because the cat basket is on the ground and wire mesh on the door to the basket and the coop itself is probably rat-sized. Just when I'd decided to stop worrying until the morning!

Last edited:
Yes you can get a general antiseptic solution for washing a wound from any pharmacy or you can make some yourself with boiled water and a few drops of tea tree oil, put into a spray bottle. Even plain soapy water works to clean it.

If you want antiseptic ointment to put on the vent to keep it moist and fight bacteria, then people here recommend 'triple antibiotic cream'. We don't have that here in the UK, so i would just use a general antiseptic cream for cuts and scrapes, the type you put on your kids knee. Or an antiseptic nappy/daiper cream like sudocrem (works wonders but no idea if you can get that there).

Just avoid any cream or ointment containing lidocaine or any other 'caine' as that is toxic to birds.
Thanks, as ever!

I'm now sitting indoors at night worrying that Holly is going to have her eyes pecked out by rats because the cat basket is on the ground and wire mesh on the door to the basket and the coop itself is probably rat-sized. Just when I'd decided to stop worrying until the morning!

Maybe you could bring the cat basket into the house for the night?
Then you could hopefully quit worrying and sleep in peace, knowing that she is safe.

Last edited:
Maybe you could bring the cat basket into the house for the night?
Then you could hopefully quit worrying and sleep in peace, knowing that she is safe.
In bed now and trying not to always imagine the worst. I think I might have to think again for tomorrow night though.

Morning, so our Holly is up and about eating, drinking and scratting around :) She dodged the Vaseline I tried to put on her and I decided not to stress her out straightaway, but I feel a lot better about her than I did yesterday.

Her butt is still a bit of a mess, but I don't think she's egg bound (I couldn't feel anything and she seems to be moving around normally) or has a prolapse (in my non-expert opinion, her vent doesn't look like photos I'm looking at of prolapsed ones), so I'm going to get her some of the things you all suggested today and meanwhile try to keep her as clean as possible. Looking like vent gleet? Do you think more feathers need to be cut off? My husband's back tomorow (halelujah!!!), so at least it wil be easier with two.

Thanks again. I would have cracked up without you all! Will keep you posted... x

Attachments

• 20200910_072114.jpg
    20200910_072114.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom