Newbie needing help

Annap

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Hello
I really need some help this is the first time I have done this but somehow I have manage to hatch 4 lovely chicks and 3 on the way please could someone tell me when I should give them water I've put food in will they no when and how to drink

No need to give them food or water until you get them into the brooder. They live off their yolk sack for up to three days When giving water usually the just take to it but I always dip their beak just a little in the water (dont dip all the way to the nose or they could drown) and they will get the hint. Make sure you have a heat lamp for them and keep them at 95 or there abouts for a week. If they pant it's too hot and if they crowd and try to lay on each other it's too cold. If you have any more questions ask away
big_smile.png
And good luck!!

BTW welcome!!! And you have just found THE best place for your chickens questions
big_smile.png
Very brilliant ppl here to help you out
big_smile.png
What sort of chicks are you hatching??? And PLEASE DO share pictures. We are all picture freaks here
wink.png

I've let them dry out in the bator and then moved them into the brooder tonight I'm worried I'm doing something wrong they seem to be just falling a sleep so they seem happy enough I've never hatched anything before am I moving them too soon or is that ok

You did fine. They do lay around for a day or so. Just be sure to dip their beaks in water so they know where it is, and put a food dish in with chick starter:welcome

Thanks it's abit of a learning curve I don't even know what kind they are thanks for the advise I have a feeling I will be on here all the time

I put colored aquarium beads in the waterer. The shiny attracts them and I tap on the waterer a few times. I put their starter feed on a paper towel the first few days and when I first put them in I will tap at the food pick some up and drop it the way a mother chicken would. They will automatically peck at it. Doing the water this way I have never had to dip a beak.

Thats a great idea the older ones are taking some water that I have put in a milk bottle top I'm so worried I'm doing it wrong

Once they are in the brooder, they are ready to drink water. You can go ahead and put their waterer in.
I put marbles in mine to prevent them from accidently drowning.
80987_img_7696.jpg

You can also hang a hamster water bottle in their brooder. They can learn to drink from that and then you won't have to worry about poo and shavings in your water. If they don't get it at first, you can put a bit of peanut butter on the end.
80987_img_8116.jpg

If you want some more tips, I wrote a fairly short post on my blog about brooding chicks. It should get you the basics pretty quickly: http://scratchcradle.wordpress.com/2011/06/05/basic-chick-care/

You
can also look at My Pet Chicken's guide: http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyard-chickens/chicken-care/chapter-4-caring-for-baby-chicks.aspx

Or
The Easy Chicken's: http://shilala.homestead.com/brooding.html

Read up, and good luck!

Back
Top Bottom