Newbie needs help quick please

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
Hi,
my daughter went to a sleepover 2 weeks ago and when I picked her up she asked if we could take some eggs home, since we were planning on getting chickens in the next few months I figured why not. The people we got them from really had no knowledge of even the breed they had, and I didn't see the rooster because their dog killed it 2 days earlier. fast forward to yesterday, one hatched, so I got it all set up and now they are popping like mad. Here is where the emergency is. One hatched tonight that looks like something didn't close right. The only thing I can think of is that it might be the intestines, it is where the umbilicus would be. I feel horrible, my daughters were crying, and it's been almost 4 hours and it seems normal other than that, even preening itself. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should I just expect it to die? And if so how long will it take? Should I put it down? I feel terrible for it and if I put my hand in it keeps trying to cuddle me but I don't want to leave the incubator open too long because there are still a few eggs in there. Also, on a different note, I was wondering if I could have help identifying the breed. The first one came out looking like a black australorp, but so far 2 are black and yellow but 3 are more silver and yellow. Is it just a cross breed? Thanks for any help

Krista

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC, sorry it had to be on such unhappy terms....

If is is intestines, get a wet q-tip and try to ease them back in. Do this as soon as possible, before the navel begins to close, leaving the intestines outside the body. Once you get them inside the body cavity, hold the q-tip OVER the hole, NOT inside, until the navel seals enough to prevent a prolapse recurrence. Whatever you do, DO NOT use liquid bandage.

Be sure it is not an umbilical cord you are looking at. If it is, then it will dry up and fall off in time.

If you are certain it is intestines, and you are unable to get them back inside the body cavity, then the only thing left is to cull.
sad.png

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes.

Thank you for your reply, I wish I posted earlier
sad.png
I think it is too late to push back as it is now a darker red and seems too dried. It is the prettiest of the bunch so far. How cruel would it be to wait until 8 hours until my vet opens so they can euthanize? I feel sorry for it but I don't have it in me to do it myself. What is the best approach to this, you are talking to someone who paid $35 in high school to get a pet mouse (which cost $2.99 back then) euthanized.
Krista

My rather uneducated guess would be that having the intestines slowly severed by the closing navel would be painful. Though, it would be very gradual, so that would possibly alleviate some of the pain?
idunno.gif

If you are absolutely certain that it is beyond saving, I would recommend doing it yourself as, in my opinion, waiting eight hours would not be the most humane for the chick, even though it would save you pain.
sad.png

I am not willing to post publically what I believe is the best way to cull day olds, as I do not wish to begin a "flame" topic. If you feel you need the information, PM me. There are a few ways that are quick for the chick, and not so hard on the unfortunate mommie.
hugs.gif

You say it dried up and is dark red? My guess is that you are seeing just a pinched off part of the egg yolk sac/umbilical cord. Intestines look like whitish curly things if they get stuck on the outside. If it dries up as I think you have described and the chick does fine as you say.. it probably will be fine and just hatched with a rough navel and slightly unabsorbed yolk.

I looked again, and it is about 1/4 inch around, is there any chance it is anything else?? I would hate to put this chick down if it really is OK. It is very active and seems happy. I just don't know what to do
how do i PM?

Quarter inch around? Is it circular? If so that really sounds like a rough navel. Generally, if it can eat, poop, and move, it will be just fine. I'd hold off on culling and you may find that it just falls off in a few weeks or adsorbs or heals up.

To pm, click on "PM" under the name of the person you want to PM.

Look and see if you see anything that looks like intestines. If it is just a yellow or orange blob with some veining around it, the silkiechicken is very likely correct!
big_smile.png

You click the the "PM" button below the person you wish to send a message to.

Back
Top Bottom